· Hubner et al. (2003) Derivation of Oocytes from Mouse Embryonic Stem Cells. Science Vol 300: 1252
· Dennis (2003) Synthetic Sex Cells. Nature Vol 424: 364
· Chapter 7 of the textbook.
To receive full credit, answers must be incomplete sentences. Submit the answers by e-mail prior to class to both instructors firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com Also, bring a copy of your answers and any additional questions or comments to the discussion sessions.
1. Briefly describe the assay that Hubner et al. used to identify oocytes in the ES cell cultures.
2. The authors further analyzed the molecular and cellular properties of the putative oocytes.
3. In vitro fertilization has enabled new options for infertile couples, but oocytes are in short supply. What ethical issues should society consider before gametes grown in culture are used to assist human reproduction? Explain.