Other Fun Stuff
The rest of this page is pretty straight-laced group stuff. This part of the page just for fun. These are some sites and things I enjoy personally, and no endorsement by the chemistry department or university is implied.
I got sucked into soccer Christopher turned four in 1999 and wanted to play. The local club called me up and said if I wanted him to have a team, I had to coach it. I said OK, as long as it didn't matter I knew nothing particularly of the game, and surely didn't know how to play well at all.
I learned to play a little, then more or less stopped a few years ago when I kept getting recurring hamstring injuries. But I got a national youth coaching license or two, and ended up on the board of the local club. Now he can can probably take me, but I can still whip my twins.
They call Soccer "The Beautiful Game." Took me a while, but now I get it.
Triathlon and Running
In recent years, I figured out that while playing "serious" soccer is probably bad for me, I can run (slowly, but for a long time) without hurting myself too badly. And because the old knees have some mileage on them, I ended up taking triathlon. Way cool, actually. Did my first half-iron-man (Aluminum man???) in August 2008. My wife let me buy a sweet bike. Christopher is on schedule to start beating me in 2009. We'll see! There is an amazing number of races in Iowa each summer
- Triathlon Racers of Iowa my triathlon club
- ISU triathlon club great for locals, but my schedule doesn't match theirs
- Find a race in Iowa
- Bike World of Ames where you can get cool stuff and they take care of you
- Cervélo, who make arguably the best tri bikes in the world
You can take the boy out of LA but you can't take LA out of the boy.
OK, so I'm a sucker for the local teams. We're season ticket holders for the Women's Basketball team. All hail Bill Fennelly!
- One of the cool things about living in Iowa is that - once every four years - You Matter. My guy - Howard Dean - imploded in 2004, but hey, you don't win them all. My guy in 2008 -Chris Dodd- didn't make it out of Iowa either, but BO was a good second choice.
- LGBT issues are a pet peave of mine
- Here is the site of the More Light Presbyterians, most definitesly NOT part of the religious right. They have a lot of excellent things to say about the value of all people, especially in relationship to the church in which I grew up.
- ISU On-campus LGBT resources
- Become a card carrying member of the ACLU
- Is there anything cooler than a big friendly Newfoundland Dog? Here's the local club and the kennel from which we got our first ones. This picture is from 1996, but I still like it.