Statistical Design and the Analysis of Experiments
|Instructor: ||W. Robert Stephenson |
| ||3111 Snedecor Hall |
|Phone: ||294-7805 |
|email: || email@example.com |
|homepage: || www.public.iastate.edu/~wrstephe |
|Office Hours: ||M W F 11 to 11:50 am, T Th 1:10 to 2:00 pm |
| ||and by appointment |
|Lecture: ||M W F 10 to 10:50 am, Town 270 |
|Recommended Text: ||Introduction to Design and Analysis of Experiments. |
| ||by George W. Cobb, Key College Publishing/Springer-Verlag 1998. |
You can download JMP 12 Pro by going to
You should be able to directly download and install JMP from there. Follow the detailed instructions for installation
for either Windows or Mac. The software will work until June 30, 2015.
Course Material and Handouts
Material for the first exam - Friday, February 17, 2017
- Monday, January 9: Introduction, What makes a study and experiment?
Syllabus, Spring 2017
Lecture 1: Introduction
- Wednesday, January 11: Three Basic Principles: Control, Replication and Randomization.
Lecture 2: 3 Principles
- Friday, January 13: Randomization. Comparing two independent samples.
Blood Pressure Experiment
Lecture 3: Randomization
- Monday, January 16: No Class - University Holiday
- Wednesday, January 18: Two Sample t-test
Using JMP to analyze data from the Blood Pressure Experiment
JMP Output for Blood Pressure Experiment
Lecture 4: Two-sample t
- Friday, January 20: Chapter 1 - Confidence intervals, Three Decisions
Lecture 5: CI's, Three Decisions
- Monday, January 23: Chapter 2 - Three sources of variability, three kinds of variability, accuracy and precision
Lecture 6: Variability.
- Wednesday, January 25: Chapter 2 - Models and Conditions; Chapter 3 - Analysis of Variance.
Lecture 7: Models, Conditions, Analysis
- Friday, January 27: Chapter 3 - Analysis of Variance.
Lecture 8: Analysis of Variance
- Monday, January 30: Chapter 3 - Confidence Intervals and residuals.
Lecture 9: Confidence Intervals and Residuals.
Plots of Residuals.
- Wednesday, February 1: Chapter 4 - Decisions on the content of the experiment: Response, conditions, experimental material.
Lecture 10: Response and Conditions.
Lecture 11: Experimental Material.
- Friday, February 3: Chapter 5 - Basic Factorial Design
Sample size tables: see Journal of Quality Technology, Vol. 17, No. 3, July, 1985, p 168-169.
Lecture 12: Popcorn Experiment
Sample size tables
- Monday, February 6: Popcorn Experiment Analysis
Lecture 13: Analysis of Popcorn Experiment
JMP data set for Popcorn Experiment
- Wednesday, February 8: Residuals; Advantages and Disadvantanges of a Completely Randomized Design
Lecture 14: Comparisons and Residuals
Completely Randomized Design
- Friday, February 10: Multiple Comparisons
Lecture 15: Multiple Comparisons
- Exam 1 - Friday, February 17, 2017
- Exam 2 - Friday, March 31, 2017
- Final Exam - Tuesday, May 3, 2017 from 9:45 to 11:45 am