Statistical Design and the Analysis of Experiments
|Instructor: ||W. Robert Stephenson |
| ||3111 Snedecor Hall |
|Phone: ||294-7805 |
|email: || email@example.com |
|homepage: || www.public.iastate.edu/~wrstephe |
|Office Hours: ||M W F 10 to 10:50 am |
| ||and by appointment |
|Lecture: ||M W F 11 to 11:50 am, Town 270 |
|Text: ||Introduction to Design and Analysis of Experiments. |
| ||by George W. Cobb, Key College Publishing/Springer-Verlag 1998. |
You can download JMP 11 Pro by going to
You should be able to directly download and install JMP from there. Follow the detailed instructions for installation
for either Windows or Mac. The software will work until June 30, 2015.
Course Material and Handouts
New material for the final exam - Thursday, May 7, 9:45 to 11:45 am
- Monday, April 6: Factorial crossing with a block design - Dental Pain Experiment
Lecture 28: Dental Pain Experiment
Relief of Post-operative Dental Pain
- Wednesday, April 8: Analysis of Dental Pain Experiment
Lecture 29: Analysis of Dental Pain Experiment
JMP data table with Dental Pain data
JMP Analysis of Dental Pain Experiment
- Friday, April 10: More on Factorial Crossing/Designs.
Lecture 30: More on Factorial Crossing/Designs
Does significance of treatments imply a significant factor or interaction?
Parameter Estimates and Estimated Effects
- Monday, April 13: Split plot design - Soybean varieties and insecticides.
Lecture 31: Split Plot/Repeated Measures Designs
- Wednesday, April 15: Repeated measures design - Exam aids and type of exam.
Lecture 31: Split Plot/Repeated Measures Designs
- Friday, April 17: Split plot/Repeated measures - Time and solitary confinement.
Lecture 32: Solitary confinement experiment.
Solitary Confinement(Split Plot Design/Repeated Measures)
- Monday, April 20: JMP analysis of a split plot/repeated measures design
Lecture 33: Analysis: Solitary Confinement
JMP data table with Solitary Confinement data
JMP Analysis of Solitary Confinement Experiment (Split Plot Design)
Lecture 34: More Analysis: Solitary Confinement
More JMP Analysis of the Solitary Confinement Experiment (Split Plot Design)
- Wednesday, April 22: Analysis of residuals for a Split Plot/Repeated Measures Design
Lecture 35: Residuals - Solitary Confinement
Residuals for the Solitary Confinement Experiment
Analysis of Alternative Prisoner Study
- Friday, April 24: Using centerpoints to estimate random error variation.
Lecture 38: Center Points
Bread Wrapper Strength Experiment
- Monday, April 27: Analysis using center points
Lecture 39: Analysis using Center Points
JMP analysis of the Bread Wrapper Experiment
- Wednesday, April 29: Analysis of Swimming Experiment
Swimming Experiment: Normal Plot of Estimated Full Effects
Using JMP - Fit Y by X to Create a Normal Plot
JMP Analysis of Swimming Experiment
- Friday, May 1: Alternative estimates of random error variation
Material for the second exam - Friday, April 3, 2015
- Monday, February 23: Factorial Crossing
Lecture 16: Factorial Crossing
- Wednesday, February 25: Recall Experiment.
Lecture 17: Recall Experiment - Setup
JMP Data Table for Recall Experiment.
- Friday, February 27: Estimating effects, formal analysis.
Lecture 18:Factorial - Analysis
- Monday, March 2: Tests for factor and interaction effects.
Lecture 19: Factorial - Analysis Continued
JMP Fit Model for Recall Experiment
- Wednesday, March 4: Multiple comparisons, residuals
Lecture 20: Factorial - Multiple Comparisons, Residuals
Comparisons of Treatment Means
Analysis of residuals for Recall Experiment
- Friday, March 6: Contrasts.
Lecture 21: Contrasts
Contrasts for Recall Experiment
Orthogonal Polynomial Contrasts
- Monday, March 9: Blocking Basics
Lecture 22: Blocking Basics
- Wednesday, March 11: Blocking - How to form blocks?
Lecture 23: Forming Blocks
- Friday, March 13: No Class
- Monday, March 23: Analysis of the torque on knee experiment
Lecture 24: Analysis of Block Designs
Torque on Knee Experiment
JMP Data Table for Torque on Knee
Incorrect and Correct Analyses of Torque on Knee Data
- Wednesday, March 25: More than one observation per block; Advantages and Disadvantages of Block Designs
Lecture 25: More on Block Designs
Variation on the Torque on Knee Experiment
Randomized Complete Block Designs
- Friday, March 27: Latin square design - randomization
Lecture 26: Latin Square Design
Movie Appeal (Latin Square Design)
- Monday, March 30: Analysis of the movie appeal experiment
Lecture 27: Latin Square Analysis
JMP Analysis of Movie Appeal Experiment (Latin Square Design)
Material for the first exam - Friday, February 20, 2015
- Monday, January 12: Introduction, What makes a study and experiment?
Syllabus, Spring 2015
Lecture 1: Introduction
- Wednesday, January 14: Three Basic Principles: Control, Replication and Randomization.
Lecture 2: 3 Principles
- Friday, January 16: Randomization. Comparing two independent samples.
Blood Pressure Experiment
Lecture 3: Randomization
- Monday, January 19: No Class - University Holiday
- Wednesday, January 21: Two Sample t-test
Using JMP to analyze data from the Blood Pressure Experiment
JMP Output for Blood Pressure Experiment
Lecture 4: Two-sample t
- Friday, January 23: Chapter 1 - Confidence intervals, Three Decisions
Lecture 5: CI's, Three Decisions
- Monday, January 26: Chapter 2 - Three sources of variability, three kinds of variability, accuracy and precision
Lecture 6: Variability.
- Wednesday, January 28: Chapter 2 - Models and Conditions; Chapter 3 - Analysis of Variance.
Lecture 7: Models, Conditions, Analysis
- Friday, January 30: Chapter 3 - Analysis of Variance.
Lecture 8: Analysis of Variance
- Monday, February 2: Chapter 3 - Confidence Intervals and residuals.
Lecture 9: Confidence Intervals and Residuals.
Plots of Residuals.
- Wednesday, February 4: Chapter 4 - Decisions on the content of the experiment: Response, conditions, experimental material.
Lecture 10: Response and Conditions.
Lecture 11: Experimental Material.
- Friday, February 6: Chapter 5 - Basic Factorial Design
Sample size tables: see Journal of Quality Technology, Vol. 17, No. 3, July, 1985, p 168-169.
Lecture 12: Popcorn Experiment
Sample size tables
- Monday, February 9: Popcorn Experiment Analysis
Lecture 13: Analysis of Popcorn Experiment
JMP data set for Popcorn Experiment
- Wednesday, February 11: Residuals; Advantages and Disadvantanges of a Completely Randomized Design
Lecture 14: Comparisons and Residuals
Completely Randomized Design
- Friday, February 13: Multiple Comparisons
Lecture 15: Multiple Comparisons
- Exam 1 - Friday, February 20, 2015
- Exam 2 - Friday, April 3, 2015
- Final Exam - Thursday, May 7, 2015 from 9:45 to 11:45 am