- Born August 5, 1956 in Waterloo, Iowa
- 1974 - Graduated from Hudson High School in Hudson, Iowa
- 1978 - B.S. Engineering Science, Iowa State University
- 1981 - M.S. Engineering Mechanics, Iowa State University
Thesis: Direct Determination of Organic Sulfur in Coal by Electron Beam Microanalysis
- 1986 - Ph.D. Engineering Mechanics, Iowa State University
Dissertation: Application of Automated Image Analysis to the Study of Mineral Matter in
Raw and Processed Coals
- 1986-1997 - Fossil Energy Program, Ames Laboratory, researcher in coal characterization
- 1986-present - Materials Analysis Research Laboratory, Civil and Construction
Engineering Department, Iowa State University, Associate Scientist with interests in the
application of electron microscopy, x-ray analysis, and image analysis to a variety of
- Development and application of scanning electron microscopy, x-ray analysis and image
analysis techniques to materials characterization problems. Particular interest in the
integration of the techniques.
- Coal cleaning techniques, particularly column flotation.
- Computers and networking, image processing, local area networking (Microsoft
Workgroups), and Internet applications.
Married since 1975 to Linda (Baldwin) Straszheim
Five children: Heather (9-18-78), Hilary Faith (9-13-80), Hope (4-7-82), Jonathan
(4-30-84), Charity (4-2-88).
Christian (since 1977), testimony, active in Story City
Evangelical Free Church and Bible study.
Involved with Howard Rockets 4H club (with the kids).
Interested in woodworking, home improvement, auto repair, and computers.
46 Town Engineering
Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011
Telephone: (515) 294-8187; FAX: (515) 294-4563
Other related Web pages at Iowa State
Materials Analysis Research Laboratory,
overseen by the Civil and Construction Engineering
Department of the College of Engineering.