Computing Normal Probabilities in JMP®
Chapter 5, Example 10
- Launch JMP and create a new data table.
- Compute and display the normal probability.
JMP computes the probability and displays it in the first row of Column 1.
- Add one row to the data table.
- Double-click the column header, "Column 1."
- In the dialog box that follows, select "New Property --> Formula."
- Click "Edit Formula."
- In the dialog box that follows, double-click on the words, "no formula." Enter "Normal Distribution(-1.38)"
Note: JMP requires that the user enter a z-value rather than x, mean, and standard deviation.
Note: When you finish editing the function, JMP will display it in a graphically-editable form. Functions can also be entered graphically using the "Functions" list and the arithmetic buttons. This approach is more intuitive, though more time-consuming. The "Normal Distribution" function is found under "Probability" when the functions are shown grouped.
- Click "OK" to close the function dialog box.
- Click "OK" in the column properties dialog box.