2011 has been a busy year here for me at ISU, and I'm so thankful for all the opportunities I've had to grow and collaborate with others here. ISU is a great place for stretching the boundaries of what you think you are capable of. Here are some of the things I've been up to since I started this program:
- ENG 510: As part of this class I've had the opportunity to develop a Web-Based Teaching Unit on "Making Effective Complaints." I want to thank my colleagues Chaewon Lim, Carla Martinez, and Ngan Vu for helping to make an awesome web unit.
- Student Volunteer, Second Language Research Forum (SLRF) 2011.
- Invited Talk: "Writing Results Seminar." (with Elena Cotos). Graduate College and CAC: Research Writing Seminar series. Iowa State University. November, 3, 2011.
- Poster: "SFL and Genre Analysis for Formative Assessment Technology" (with Elena Cotos, Sarah Huffman, and Stephanie Link). MwALT & TSLL 2011. Iowa State University. September 16, 2011.
- Iowa State University Game Development Competition: First Place - Serious Category: That 1 Science Game. I was lucky enough to join a group of talented design and programming students, and we created a fun little demo for a science game. Hopefully this experience will push me to make a language learning game one day.
- Curriculum and Instruction 505: One of the things I love about this program is that we can work in other disciplines to make new connections with applied linguistics. Through this course, I learned a lot about instructional technology and a plethora of tools that can be used in the language classroom.
- Research Assistant, 2011 - Present. Discourse analyst, research writing.
- Teaching Assisstant, Fall 2010 - Spring 2011, English 099 L/R: Listening/Speaking Strategies for Non-native Speakers of English.