Oct. 1990: Tutsi-dominated Rwandan Patriotic
Front (RPF) invasion of Rwanda from Uganda.
- initial assault repulsed
- continued incursions in 1991-1993
- ceasefires, followed by violations
- OAU monitoring effort attempted
March 1993: Arusha, Tanzania peace talks
- June 1993: United Nations Observer Mission
Uganda-Rwanda (UNOMUR) approved
- small: 81 observers at full strength in Sep.
- Aug. 1993 Arush Peace Agreement reached
Oct. 1993: UNAMIR force approved
- Nov 1993: FC Dallaire requests UNHQ approval
of ROE allowing UNAMIR to prevent crimes against humanity and other abuses (no
reply from UNHQ
- Jan. 1994: informant report (see
GoR video excerpt "The Warning")
- 5 April 1994: UNSC extends UNAMIR until July
- 6 April 1994: Rwandan president & Burundi
president killed in plane shoot-down: genocide begins
See continued timeline at GoR website
- 22 June: UNSC authorizes French
"Operation Turquoise" in south-west Rwanda
- 18 July: RPF declares unilateral ceasefire;
Was early armed intervention (April 1994)
Worth reading: Philippe Gaillard's Oct.
Oct. 1994 and
2002 discussion of the Rwandan genocide. Gaillard was the head of the ICRC
delegation in Rwanda during the genocide.