1. Public is 'moody'
2. Lacks consistent or structured beliefs
3. Public has ‘nonattitudes’ (P. Converse)
1. Volatile public finding was incorrect
2. Public has consistent preferences; stable views; responsive in consistent ways
3. Public opinion is collectively stable, structured and responsive to information
support was strong in 1965-67, with a majority favoring
But support was equally strong to turn the ground war over to SV with: 71% favoring this in Nov 1966, 73% in April 1967, 77% in Feb 1968 (after Tet Offensive)
A majority did not favor immediate withdrawal.
1. "Don't Know's"
2. Those polled often lack basic facts:
3. Cognitive Misers; no need to accumulate information
4. Take cues from experts to form opinions