This page contains material closely related to class material. This is
provided if you want another perspective on lecture material.
Week of Jan 12, 19: power analysis
- Quinn and Keough, section 7.3, pp 164-171.
- Ramsey and Schaefer (Statistical Sleuth): section 23.5 in 1st
ed (and I believe same in 2nd ed.) describes confidence interval
width approach to determining sample size.
- Most of the other books on reserve in Parks Library contain
discussions of power analysis.
Week of Jan 29: Subsampling and variance components
- Quinn and Keough, section 9.1, pp
208-218, discusses subsampling and variance component estimation.
- Dixon and Ding, 2008. A metabolomic
data uncertainty budget for the plant, Arabidopsis thaliana. Chance
This is a relatively complete exploration of sources and
characteristics of variability in measurements of amino acid
concentrations in a plant. The material on transformations is not
relevant for us.
Week of Feb 5: Blocking
Week of Mar 2: 2 way ANOVA - linear model details
- All the details of effects models, model comparison and
contrasts are in Littell et al, Sections 6.1-6.3 (pp 163-213).
Week of Mar 23: Split plot designs
to Recognize a Split-Plot Experiment From Minitab Inc. Examples
are industrial studies, but the concepts are equally valid for
- SAS details: Little et al, section 4.6 (pp 135-140)
- Textbook treatment: Quinn and Keogh Chapter 11, pp 301-338
Week of Apr 6: Repeated measures analysis