Barbara Clark, College of Business, (515) 294-3656
Mary Jo Glanville, College of Family and Consumer Sciences, (515) 294-8799
Kevin Brown, News Service, (515) 294-8986
SAKS INC. CEO IS ISU'S EXECUTIVE-IN-RESIDENCE
AMES, Iowa -- R. Brad Martin, chairman and CEO of national retailer Saks Inc. (formerly Proffitt's, Inc.), is Iowa State University's executive-in-residence. He will be at the university Sept. 30.
While on campus, Martin will lecture to business students, meet with students and faculty, attend a Career Day event and host an open forum.
In 1984, Martin was a principal investor in a group that acquired the former Proffitt's Department Stores, based in Knoxville, TN. At that time, the company operated five stores in metropolitan Knoxville with annual sales of $40 million. Martin joined the company's management team in 1989.
Today, Saks Inc. is the fourth largest department store firm in the United States, with annual revenues in excess of $6 billion. The retailer operates more than 330 stores in 38 states under the names of Saks Fifth Avenue, Proffitt's, McRae's, Parisian, Herberger's, Carson Pirie Scott, Boston Store, Bergner's and Off 5th, and, Iowa retailer, Younker's.
The College of Business created the Executive-In-Residence program in 1995 to "link theory and research to practice." Under the program, two to three senior-level executives will visit the campus each year
Highlights of Martin's visit include:
- Speak to the Promotional Strategies class in Room 205 Carver Hall, 9 -- 10 a.m.
- Meet with the College of Business Curriculum Committee in 314 Carver Hall, 10 -- 11 a.m.
- Attend the College of Family and Consumer Sciences Career Day, Saks Inc. booth, Great Hall, Memorial Union, 11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
- Meet with FCS students and faculty in the Pioneer Room, Memorial Union, 12:15 -- 1:15 p.m.
- Host an open forum "The Growth Story of Saks Inc.," in 205 Carver Hall, 1:30 -- 3 p.m.
Iowa State homepage
University Relations, email@example.com
Copyright © 1997, Iowa State University, all rights reserved