News Service


Mark Engelbrecht, Design, (515) 294-7427
Stacy Cullison, Design, (515) 294-6984
Steve Sullivan, News Service, (515) 294-3720


AMES, Iowa -- The Gardner and Florence Call Cowles Foundation has awarded Iowa State University's College of Design a $250,000 grant, which will help fund a $3 million capital project.

The Cowles Foundation grant will be used for an "electronic" conference center and distance learning facility.

"We are honored to have the support of the Gardner and Florence Call Cowles Foundation for this important capital project," said ISU College of Design Dean Mark Englebrecht. "With this grant, the Cowles Foundation is supporting the only comprehensive design program in the state and significantly enhancing our ability to educate students and provide outreach to the people and communities of Iowa."

The college's $3 million capital project has received $1 million in institutional funding, while another $1.75 million, including the Cowles grant, has been provided through gifts to the ISU Foundation.

Features of the capital project include a 250-seat auditorium; development of an exterior plaza and improvements to the college's atrium; creation of in-studio computing areas; and construction of additional studio and shop space.

The Cowles Foundation is an independent foundation incorporated in 1934. The foundation has a strong record of supporting four-year, accredited Iowa private colleges, as well as various cultural institutions and social service agencies in the state. David Kruidenier is president of the foundation, which has a nine-member board of directors.

The fund-raising effort for the design project is part of the ISU Foundation's Campaign Destiny: To Become the Best, a $300 million capital campaign aligned with Iowa State's strategic plan to become the best land-grant university in the nation. Since it began in 1995, the campaign has generated more than $253 million in outright and deferred contributions.


Iowa State homepage

University Relations,
Copyright © 1997, Iowa State University, all rights reserved
Revised 6/16/98