John Anderson, University Relations, 515-294-0704
FIRE FORCES EVACUATION OF SCHILLETTER VILLAGE UNIT
AMES, Iowa--Fire gutted an upstairs bedroom in an Iowa State University student apartment complex building early Tuesday morning, forcing the evacuation of three families in the building.
The fire occurred in unit 61C, Schilletter Village, occupied by Ju-Whan Eom, Sei Kyoung Park and their child. It was reported at 4:02 a.m. and the Ames Fire Department contained the blaze in that unit. The rest of the building sustained minor smoke and water damage. The families in the other units were able to return to their units Tuesday morning. Eom, Park and their child were being housed temporarily in University Village, and would be moved into a vacant unit in the same building as soon as that unit could be made ready.
An estimate of damage to the structure was being determined by Residence Department officials. Ames Fire Department officials said the fire apparently started in wiring connected to an electric space heater.
Schilletter Village is a complex of student apartment buildings operated by ISU's Department of Residence.
Iowa State homepage
University Relations, firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 1997, Iowa State University, all rights reserved
Revise d 10/14/97