Steve Sullivan, News Service, (515) 294-3720
ISU DEDICATES GEORGE C. CHRISTENSEN DRIVE JULY 31
AMES, Iowa -- The road circling much of Iowa State University's Veterinary Medicine will be named for George C. Christensen, ISU's first executive director for international affairs, during a ceremony at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, July 31, at the college's administrative entrance.
Speakers will include President Martin Jischke and Veterinary Medicine Dean Richard Ross. A reception will follow in the Frank K. Ramsey Alumni Room, Vet Med.
Christensen came to Iowa State in 1953 as an associate professor of veterinary anatomy. He left in 1958 for Purdue University but five years later to serve as dean of the CVM from 1963-1965. In 1965, he was appointed vice president for academic affairs and in 1987, he became executive director for international affairs.
He retired from ISU in 1989 and accepted a two-year position as vice president for academic affairs at the University of Alaska -- Statewide.
Christensen was considered by many to be ISU's leading internationalist. He initiated many exchanges and cooperative agreements with foreign countries during his tenure. He was interested in affirmative action and worked on related issues both at ISU and at national and international levels. Christensen also was recognized both nationally and internationally for his leadership and activities in veterinary medicine.
Christensen was directly involved in developing and implementing plans that lead to the establishment of the colleges of Education, Design and Business Administration. He also initiated the eventual combination of men's and women's physical education into a single Physical Education Department.
Iowa State homepage
University Relations, email@example.com
Copyright © 1997, Iowa State University, all rights reserved