Iowa State University

Iowa State University
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
 
E-Mail/Phones |

News Service

News Service:

Annette Hacker, manager, (515) 294-3720

Office: (515) 294-4777

06-21-04

Contact:

Norman Cheville, College of Veterinary Medicine, (515) 294-1250

Ann Wilson, ISU Foundation (515) 294-9608

Annette Hacker, News Service (515) 294-3720

Renovated Vet Med teaching hospital will be named for Iowa State alumnus

AMES, Iowa -- When it is completed, the renovated teaching hospital at Iowa State University's College of Veterinary Medicine will be named the Dr. Eugene and Linda Lloyd Veterinary Teaching Hospital, in honor of the lead private donors on the project. The Board of Regents, State of Iowa, approved the name at its June 16 meeting.

In May, the Lloyds, of Fort Myers, Fla., made a gift to the college of $3.5 million, one-half of the private gift goal for the hospital renovation. Their gift is the largest ever to the college. The rest of the funding for the project will come from a bonding package approved by the Iowa Legislature this spring.

Eugene Lloyd has two degrees from the College of Veterinary Medicine. He received a DVM in 1949 and Ph.D. in 1970. From 1974 to 1984, he was a professor of veterinary pathology in the college. He is the founder, chairman and CEO of Lloyd Inc., Shenandoah, which develops and manufactures pharmaceutical and nutritional products for animals and humans, which are distributed through veterinarians and druggists.

Construction on the $47.3 million project - a three-phase renovation and expansion of the veterinary teaching hospital and completion of the veterinary diagnostic laboratory biosecurity unit - is expected to begin in early 2005. (Phase 1 of the biosecurity unit was dedicated earlier this month.) Plans call for reconstruction of the large animal hospital wards and the diagnostic laboratory, as well as new space for the small animal and equine clinics.

-30-

Quick look

The College of Veterinary Medicine will name its renovated teaching hospital after Dr. Eugene and Linda Lloyd, the lead private donors on the project.