INDEX A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Larch Hall

About Larch

Have a comment or question about the site ?

This site is created for you! E-mail Steve at: sanda@iastate.edu

In the fall of 1971 the Department of Residence opened Larch Hall, the third "New RCA" building. Larch was built for a price of $2,585,000 and was a male-only dorm while Maple and Willow were both Women's dorms. Larch was the last dorm to be built on the Iowa State campus prior to the DOR beginning implementation of the Master Plan and the construction of UDA Suite #1. Larch has since been converted to a split male/female dorm with coed floors housing males on the west end and females on the east end. The building has 10 floors with full laundry facilities on the ground floor, a large study / recreational / lounging are on the main floor, and 8 floors of resident housing holding a total of 504 residents (232 female and 272 male). All three of the New RCA buildings (Maple, Willow, and Larch) are connected via enclosed and elevated open walkways to the central commons. The commons houses student government offices, the MWL C-Store, the hall desk, mail facilities, pool tables, computer labs, study areas, and the obligatory dining hall.

 

Larch Halls - Floors

Cunningham House

Cunningham House is the first floor of Larch Hall. Cunningham house was names after J.C. Cunningham (1878-1948). Cunningham received a B.S. from Kansas State University in 1905. He served successively as an assistant professor, associate professor and professor of horticulture. He was extremely popular when head of the two-year horticulture and botany for many years. He was on the Iowa State staff from 1911 until his death in 1948. He was the author of books, pamphlets and articles on the history of corn and traveled extensively to get his material.

Click here to view the Cunningham House website

 

Greene House

Greene House is the second floor of Larch Hall. Guy S. Greene (1896-1942) received a B.S. from Hobart in 1920, a Ph.D. from Cornell University in 1926 and came to Iowa State in 1930 as head of public speaking. He became head of both English and public speaking in 1940. He was chairman of the lecture committee.

Click here to view the Greene House website

 

Wolf House

Wolf House is the third floor of Larch Hall. Leonard Wolf (1908-1962) received his degrees from Iowa State (B.S. 1930, M.S. 1932). He joined the Iowa State staff as an assistant professor in 1937 and head of the department of architecture and University architect in 1953. He was a member and officer of many honorary and professional societies. Dean Town of Engineering said at the time of his death, "Professor Wolf served the University most ably, not only in planning campus buildings as a department head, but also as campus architect. He took the lead in planning campus buildings and in all campus planning. He was a very able person in all respects. He built up a good department and will be a hard man to replace."

Click here to view the Wolf House website

 

Cessna House

Cessna House is the fourth floor of Larch Hall. O.H. Cessna (1852-1932) was in the original preparatory class that entered Iowa State in October 1868. He came to Iowa State from Nevada in a wagon with his father and the eleven miles from home seemed a long distance. His diploma, dated November 13, 1872, from the Iowa Agricultural College, was of the first graduating class. Following graduataion he was a bookkeeper, deputy treasurer of Story County and in the abstract business. He entered the Garrett Biblical Institute of Northwestern University and graduated in 1885 and was a minister for 15 years before returning to Iowa State as head of history and psychology and was college chaplain and director of religious life. He was known and loved by hundreds of Iowa State students and alumni.

Click here to view the Cessna House website

Kehlenbeck House

Kehlenbeck House is the fifth floor of Larch Hall. Alfred P. Kehlenbeck (1906-1969) received his B.A. degree from the State University of Iowa in 1927 and an M.A. in 1928 and Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin in 1934. He also attended universities in Germany. He held teaching positions in many universities (Oberlin, Coe, Wisconsin, Virginia, Iowa State) before finally becoming head of the department of foreign languages at Iowa State in 1950. He was a wise counselor of students and highly respected by them both as an advisor and teacher. He was in every sense of the word a student's teacher.

Click here to view the Kehlenbeck House website

Caine House

Caine House is the sixth floor of Larch Hall. A.B. Caine (1891-1950) received degrees from Utah State (B.S. 1916), Iowa State (M.S. 1917), joined the Iowa State staff as an instructor in 1916, progressed through the academic ranks and became full professor of animal husbandry (animal science) in 1936. He was one of the best loved members of the Iowa State staff and served for 30 years as sponsor of the Agricultural Student Council. He was also advisor to his social fraternity Phi Delta Theta and the Block and Bridle Club. He was the author and co-author of several bulletins and books. He belonged to many honorary and professional societies and was widely known among horsemen throughout the state and nation.

Hanson House

Hanson House is the seventh floor of Larch Hall. A. Maurice Hanson (1896-1960) received his B.S. degree in landscape architecture from Iowa State in 1928. He studied at Lake Forest, Illinois, under a fellowship of the Foundation of Architects. He was in private practice and in the National Park Service before coming to Iowa State in 1934. He was an associate professor of landscape architecture at the time of his death.

Emerson House

Emerson House is the eighth floor of Larch Hall. EMERSON, Paul (1887-1937) received a B.S. (1914) and M.S. (1915) from Delaware State College and a Ph.D. (1917) from Iowa State University. He was nationally known as a soils expert and senior soil scientist for the Federal conservation service. He was a member of the soils staff at Iowa State, 1919-1932.