Welcome to Kannan Sankar's homepage! I'm a graduate student of Bioinformatics & Computational Biology at Iowa State University. I am working towards my PhD degree under the supervision of Dr. Robert L. Jernigan. I am primarily interested in structure-dynamics relationships in proteins. I use a combination of coarse grained models (elastic network models) and molecular dynamics in understanding the dynamics and function of proteins, especially membrane proteins and proteins undergoing large conformational changes.
- M.Sc. (Hons.) Biological Sciences, Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS), Pilani, India (2011)
- B.E. (Hons.) Computer Science, Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS), Pilani, India (2011)
- Structure, Function & Dynamics of Membrane Proteins
- Extracting Dynamics Information from Multiple Structures
- RNA-Protein Interactions
- Dynamics of Macromolecular Complexes
- M. Manoharan, K. Sankar, B. Offmann, R. Sowdhamini (2013) Association of putative members to family of mosquito odorant binding proteins: Scoring scheme using Fuzzy Functional Templates and Cys residue positions, Bioinformatics and Biology Insights 7: 231-251.[Link]
- K. Harini, K. Sankar, W. Nemoto, K. Fukui, R. Sowdhamini (2012) Residue conservation and dimer-interface analysis of olfactory receptor molecular models :100 OR models for the molecular biochemists Journal of Molecular Biochemistry 1(3): 161-170.[Link]
- B. Nagarathnam, K. Sankar, V. Dharnidharka, V. Balakrishnan, G. Archunan R. Sowdhamini. (2011) TM-MOTIF: an alignment viewer to annotate predicted transmembrane helices and conserved motifs in aligned set of sequences. Bioinformation 7(5): 214-221.[Link]
- B. Nagarathnam, K. Sankar, V. Dharnidharka, V. Balakrishnan, G. Archunan R. Sowdhamini. (2011). Insights from the analysis of conserved motifs and permitted amino acid exchanges in the human, fly and worm GPCR clusters. Bioinformation 7(1): 15-20. [Link]
- Fellowship from the Office of Biotechnology, Iowa State University (2011-2012)
- Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojna (KVPY) Scholarship - Offered by the Department of Science & Technology, Govt of India (2006-2011)
- National Talent Search (NTS) Scholarship - Given by the National Council for Educational Research and Training, Govt of India (2004-2011)
- St Thomas Scholar Award - Given in School by the Mar Thoma Church Educational Society, Trivandrum (2004-2006)
- Dr. Robert L. Jernigan, Professor, Biochemistry, Biophysics & Molecular Biology, Iowa State University.
- Dr. Drena L. Dobbs, Professor, Genetics, Development & Cell Biology, Iowa State University.
- Dr. Ramanathan Sowdhamini, Associate Professor, National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS), Bangalore.
I was born & raised in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. I went on for my graduate studies to Birla Institute of Technology & Science (BITS), Pilani where I earned a double major in Biological sciences and Computer Science. I did a year of Practice School in the lab of Dr. R. Sowdhamini at NCBS, Bangalore, where I got exposed to the exciting field of Structural Bioinformatics! And there started my journey into the structure and function of biomolecules!! :P
Apart from my passion in Biology, I am a fanatic fan of Agatha Christie (Would like to chat with someone all day long on her works!!). Apart from that, I love sleeping, listening to music & also swimming.