John K. VanDyk
Current position: Systems Analyst and Adjunct Assistant Professor, Iowa State University Department of Entomology
Areas of interest: Computers in teaching biology; distance education; virtual reality; information systems (specifically metadata, web automation and database integration); knowledge management; medical entomology.
Address: 411 Science II, Iowa State University, Ames IA 50011
E-mail Address: jvandyk at iastate.edu
- Doctor of Philosophy, Entomology, Iowa State University
- Master of Science, Entomology, Iowa State University
- Bachelor of Arts, Biology, Dordt College, Sioux Center, Iowa
- Certified Naturalist, Au Sable Institute of Environmental Studies, Mancelona, Michigan
- Computing: 20+ years of experience on a variety of platforms, languages, and problems.
- Instructor, Insects and Society, 2001-present
- Instructor, Introduction to Entomology, 1999-2002, 2005-present
- Guest lecturer, Insects in the Classroom
- Online Scientist, For Scholastic Network, grades 2-12, 1997
- Substitute Instructor, General Biology, Insects in Human and Animal Health, 1992-present
- Teaching Assistant, Insects in Human and Animal Health, spring 1994
- Vice President of Software Engineering, MuDiSoft. System integration, interface design and documentation. Macintosh platform.
- FreeBSD, Digital Unix, Linux, MacOS (6-9, X), Microsoft Windows (3.1/95/98/NT/2000/XP)
- Core developer for the Drupal open source content management system. Contributed modules include actions, workflow, pubcookie, publish, subscribe modules. Co-organized the first Drupal conference and contributed to the architecture of the content construction kit.
- Metadata Plugin for Userland Frontier/Manila. Enables in-browser website management using metadata. See the overview.
- Opilio, an open-source categorical search engine based on Frontier's object database. Macintosh and Windows. Used in the National IPM Network Search Engine. Currently porting this to Python.
- National Integrated Pest Management Network plug-in for Sherlock. Allows searching of IPM information in the North Central United States directly from the Macintosh operating system (8.5 and later).
- robotExclusion and tracer suites for Frontier.
- Aranea, a web crawler for indexing information on multiple sites and presenting the information through a central search engine. Macintosh platform. Written in Frontier.
- VegComp, a program for entry, storage, retrieval and analysis of data sets taken using the point-quarter method of population sampling. Written for Apple II and Macintosh platforms.
- Reference Manager for the Macintosh, a bibliographic database system supporting direct entry and import of references from AGRICOLA.
- MosquitoBase, a Microsoft Excel-based data tracking and reporting system for arbovirus and New Jersey light trap data. Written for Windows and Macintosh platforms.
Major networking projects
Professional Entomological Training
- Forensic Entomology, Entomological Society of America, Indianapolis, Indiana
- Entomophagous Species, Midwest Institute of Biological Control, Ames, Iowa
- Mosquito Biology and Control, Florida Medical Entomology Laboratory, Vero Beach, Florida
- Field Methods for Arboviral Encephalitis Surveillance, Centers for Disease Control, Independence, Missouri
- PCR Detection of Flaviviruses, American Mosquito Control Association, Portland, Oregon
Focused on arbovirus surveillance, deer tick ecology as related to transmission of Lyme disease, and mosquito olfaction.
- Predoctoral Research Associate, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 1993-1996
- Graduate Research Assistant, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 1992-1993
Honors and Awards
- Award of Merit, Entomological Society of America North Central Branch
- Premium for Academic Excellence Award, Iowa State University
- Fellow, Au Sable Institute of Environmental Studies
- Distinguished Scholar Award, Dordt College
- Honors Scholarship, Dordt College
- Natural Science Scholarship, Dordt College
- Iowa Academic All-State Team Member
- State of Iowa Scholar
Professional Society Membership
- Submitted May 2007. Integrated Pest Management Information Systems. Textbook chapter in Integrated Pest Management, Cambridge University Press.
- Appendix 4, World Wide Web Sites of Entomological Resources, pp. 665-707 in Entomology and Pest Management, Larry P. Pedigo, 2001.
Publications in Refereed Journals
- VanDyk, J.K. 2000. Impact of the Internet on Extension Entomology. Annual Review of Entomology 2000, Vol. 45: 795-802.
- VanDyk, J.K., Bartholomew, D.M., Rowley, W.A. and K.B. Platt. 1996. Survival of Ixodes scapularis (Acari: Ixodidae) Exposed to Cold. Journal of Medical Entomology, 33(1):6-10.
- VanDyk, J.K. Entomologists and the Internet: It's Time to Get Online. 1995. American Entomologist 41:162-168.
- VanDyk, J.K. and W.A. Rowley. Response of Iowa Mosquito Populations to Unusual Precipitation Patterns as Measured by New Jersey Light Trap Collections. 1995. Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association, 11(2): 200-205.
- VanDyk, J.K., D.M. Bartholomew, W.A. Rowley and K.B. Platt. Survival of Ixodes scapularis (Acari: Ixodidae) Exposed to
Cold. Journal of Medical Entomology,
- Vance, G.M, J.K. VanDyk and W.A. Rowley. A Device for Sampling Aquatic Insects Associated with Carrion in Water. 1995. Journal of Forensic Sciences, 40(3): 479-482.
- Gilliland, T.M., W.A. Rowley, N.S. Swack, J.K. VanDyk, and M.G. Bartoces. Arbovirus Surveillance in Iowa, USA, During the Flood of 1993. 1995. Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association, 11(2): 157-161.
Presentations at National/International Meetings:
- The Future of Actions. Open Source Content Management Systems summit, Sunnyvale, 2007.
- Actions and workflows. Open Source Content Management Systems summit, Vancouver, 2006.
- Metadata-driven workflow. Drupal conference, Antwerp, Belgium, 2005.
- What is RSS and Why is it Such a Breakthrough? Fourth National IPM
- An Open-Source Categorical Search Engine for Integrated Pest Management. Entomological Society of America Annual Meeting, 2001.
- Interactive 3D virtual insects enhance online entomology course. Entomological Society of America Annual Meeting, 1999.
- Internet Videoconferencing for Remote Insect Identification. Entomological Society of America Annual Meeting, 1998.
- A Needle in a Haystack: Finding Quality Information Fast. Entomological Society of America Annual Meeting, 1997.
- The Entomology Index of Internet Resource: Order from Chaos on the Web. Invited speaker, North Central Region ESA Annual Meeting, 1997.
- Electronic Integrated Pest Management Initiative in the North Central Region. Invited speaker, North Central Region ESA Annual Meeting, 1997.
- Automating Web Server Administration. Invited speaker, Entomological Society of America Annual Meeting, 1996.
- Entomology and the Internet.
Entomological Society of America Annual Meeting, 1994.
- Mosquito-L and Other Resources for Entomologists. American Mosquito Control Association Annual Meeting, 1996.
- The Future of Entomology and the World-Wide Web. Invited speaker, Board Certified Entomologists conference, held at Entomological Society of America Annual Meeting, 1995.
- Aquatic Insects Associated with Pig Carrion in a Freshwater Lake. Entomological Society of America Annual Meeting, 1993.