- Dirksen Congressional Research Center grant to study the House
Foreign Affairs Committee, 1985
- Congressional Fellowship, American Political Science Association,
- Grant to participate in the MIT/Harvard Summer Program on Nuclear
Weapons and Arms Control (funded through the Alfred P. Sloan Jr.
Foundation) in Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1988
- Fulbright Senior Scholar, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New
Zealand, May-August 1993
- Inter-Foundation Grant, Australian-American Educational Commission,
July 1993, for lectures in Australia
- New Zealand Studies Grant, New Zealand-United States Educational
Foundation, October, 1994 for a one month visit in June-July 1995
- Academic Specialist, United States Information Agency, Marmara
University, Istanbul, Turkey, November 10-25, 1995
- Invited Consultant, Department of Political Science and
International Relations, Marmara University, Istanbul, Turkey, March
- Academic Specialist, United States Information Agency, Various
Lectures in New Zealand, June 29, 1998-July 14, 1998.
- Faculty Enrichment Program Grant from the Embassy of Canada,
Washington, D.C. for developing courses on Canadian foreign policy and
linguistics, January, 1999. (with Carol Chapelle)
- Canadian Studies Faculty Research Grant from the Embassay of Canada,
Washington, D.C. to study the role of Parliament and Congress in foreign
policy in Canada and the United States, December, 2000.