Articles on Congress and Foreign Policy
- When Congress Supports the President: A Multilevel Inquiry,
1948-1996 Serie Cahiers de l'Escape Europe 13 (May 1999):
15-40 (with Eugene R. Wittkopf)
- Congress, the President, and the End of the Cold War: Has Anything
Changed? Journal of Conflict Resolution 42 (August 1998):
440-466 (with Eugene R. Wittkopf)
- Politics and Bipartisanship at the Water's Edge: A Note on Bush and
Clinton. Polity 30 (Fall 1997): 133-149 (with Eugene R.
Wittkopf and David M. Danna)
- Bipartisanship (p. 155), Bricker Amendment (p. 181), Case-Zablocki
Act (pp. 223-224), Earmarking (pp. 47-48), Executive Privilege (p. 125),
Executive Agreements (pp. 124-125), Henry Jackson (pp. 444-445),
Legislative Veto (pp. 60-61) Samuel Nunn (p. 301), Pentagon Papers (pp.
381-382), and Prohibition (pp. 437-438). In Bruce W. Jentleson and
Thomas G. Paterson (Eds.) The Encyclopedia of U.S. Foreign
Relations Volumes 1-3. New York: Oxford University Press, 1997
- Congress. In Bruce W. Jentleson and Thomas G. Paterson (Eds.)
The Encyclopedia of U.S. Foreign Relations New York:
Oxford University Press, 1997, pp. 312-328
- Foreign Affairs Committee, House. In Donald C. Bacon, Roger
H.Davidson, and Morton Keller (Eds.) The Encyclopedia of the United
States Congress Volume 2. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1995,
- Decisionmaking in the Foreign Affairs and Foreign Relations
Committees. In Randall B. Ripley and James M. Lindsay (Eds.)
Congress Resurgent: Foreign and Defense Policy on Capitol Hill
Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1993, pp. 115-153
- At the Water's Edge: The Effects of Party, Ideology, and Issues on
Congressional Foreign Policy Voting, 1947-1988. The American
Politics Quarterly 20 (January 1992): 26-53 (with Eugene R.
- Bipartisanship, Partisanship, and Ideology in
Congressional-Executive Foreign Policy Relations, 1947-1988.
Journal of Politics 52 (November 1990): 1077-1100 (with Eugene
- Bush and Bipartisanship: The Past as Prologue? The
Washington Quarterly 13 (Winter 1990): 5-16 (with Eugene R.
- Prior Notification of Covert Actions. Chicago Tribune
September 8, 1987, p. 15
- The Iran Arms Sale and the Intelligence Oversight Act of 1980.
PS 20 (Winter 1987): 29-37 (with Steven S. Smith)
- Congressional Voting on the Nuclear Freeze Resolutions.
American Politics Quarterly 13 (January 1985): 122-136
- The Changing Role of the House Foreign Affairs Committee in the
l970s and the 1980s. Congress and the Presidency 12 (Spring
- Ideology and Voting on the Panama Canal Treaties. Legislative
Studies Quarterly 8 (February 1983): 45-63 (with Michael Black)
- The Democratic Control of International Commitments.
Presidential Studies Quarterly 8 (Summer 1978): 275-283
(with L. Johnson)
- The Making of International Agreements: A Reappraisal of
Congressional Involvement. Journal of Politics 40 (May
1978): 468-478 (with L. Johnson)
- Foreign Policy by Executive Fiat. Foreign Policy 28
(Fall 1977): 117-138 (with L. Johnson)