Relevant Professional Experience:
• Graduate Teaching Assistant at Iowa State University for ISUCOMM foundation. (Fall 2012-Present)
• Teaching assistant for class of non-native English speakers at the college level. Worked as a tutor for two semesters with approximately 15 students per semester focusing on academic writing, avoiding plagiarism, public speaking, and general communication in English. (Fall 2009-Spring 2010)
• Writing Center consultant for non-native English speakers. Acted as the “go-to” person for non-native English speakers requiring assistance in writing or public speaking at the college level. (Fall 2009-Spring 2010)
• Service Team Leader for groups of 10-15 high school girls at Camp Eagle (Christian outdoor adventure camp) in Rocksprings, Texas. Managed and directed the team in cleaning, doing dishes, and maintaining the campus. Created and led Bible studies. Developed team building activities and excursions including repelling, rock climbing, and kayaking. (Summer of 2009)
• Assistant Office Manager for the Des Moines facility of Country Fresh Inc., a fruit and vegetable processing plant based in Houston, Texas. (Summer 2007)
Relevant Volunteer Experience:
• Volunteer ESOL teacher and program facilitator at USCRI (United States Committee for Refugees and Immigrants). Currently working to develop curriculum to help refugee students reach the center’s goal of self-sufficiency by improving language skills as well as organizing all volunteer teachers and providing program assistance. (Fall 2011-Present)
• Volunteer ESOL teacher during trips to Ti Rivyre, Haiti. Designed curriculum based on individual needs of students who desired to learn English in order to obtain better jobs and to interact with missionaries and other English speakers. (March 2011 and November 2011)
• Volunteer ESOL teacher and intern for Lutheran Services Refugee Services in Des Moines, Iowa. Assisted with classes, refugee apartment set-up, and transportation to appointments. (Summer 2008)
• Bachelor of Science in Linguistics from Truman State University in Kirksville, Missouri. Awarded May 2010.
• Masters in Applied Linguistics and TESL from Iowa State University (Anticipated Fall 2014)
• Graduated Summa Cum Laude and Valedictorian with a 4.0 grade point average.
• President’s List (All semesters Fall 06-Spring 2010)
• Pershing Scholarship: Four year academic scholarship from Truman State University with full tuition, room and board, and a study abroad stipend.
Related Course Work:
• Practicum: Teaching English as a Second Language (ESL): Worked one-on-one with a non-native speaker in elementary school to improve fluency and focusing on writing and literacy. Created lesson plans and exercises for weekly meetings.
• Sociolinguistics: Language Deficits: developed practical exercises for adults with sociolinguistic deficits including Asperger’s and autism.
• Multiple other linguistics classes including: Language and the Mind, Advanced Linguistics, English Grammars, Romance Languages, and Senior Seminar and Thesis.
• Five semesters of Italian Language course work including one semester spent in Florence, Italy.
• Two semesters of Spanish Language course work.
• One semester of Arabic Language course work.