‑‑ George Welton Bissell was a professor and head of mechanical
engineering in the late 1890s and early 1900s.
Daley Drive ‑‑
Wanda Daley was a
long‑time assignments coordinator for University Student Apartments.
Daley Drive is in Pammel Court.
(University Blvd. as of 2007)
‑‑ Philip H. Elwood was head of the department of landscape architecture
from 1929 to 1951. Elwood House in South Helser Hall also is named in
‑‑ Ernest S. Haber served
as head of the department of horticulture from 1947 to 1961. He was
noted for his research in the areas of sweet corn, potato and onion
breeding. Haber House in South Helser Hall also is named in his honor.
‑‑ Herold L. Kooser served Iowa State from 1925 to 1971 as an assistant
professor of visual instruction in engineering instruction and later
as director of the Visual Instruction Service and Educational Film
Court ‑‑ Carrie (Lane) Chapman Catt, an 1880 graduate of Iowa State, was one of
the founders of American feminism. She succeeded Susan B. Anthony as
president of the National American Woman Suffrage Association and
founded the League of Women Voters.
‑‑ Anson Marston was the first dean of engineering, serving from 1904 to
1932. Marston Hall, Marston Water Tower and Ames' Marston Avenue also
are named in his honor.
‑‑ U.S. Senator Justin Smith Morrill introduced the bill establishing
land grant colleges. Morrill Hall also is named in his honor.
‑‑ Herbert Osborn was head of the zoology, entomology and geology
department from 1885 to 1898. Osborn Cottage also is named in his
‑‑ Louis H. Panel was a botanist and botany department head who served
Iowa State from 1889 to 1931. Pammel Court, Panel Woods and Pammel
State Park in Madison County also are named in his honor.
Court ‑‑ Anna E. Richardson was dean of home economics from 1923 to 1927.
Richardson Court Association residence complex also is named for her.
Riggs Court ‑‑
M. J. Riggs was an 1893
graduate in civil engineering and former president of Iowa State's
‑‑ Parley Sheldon was mayor of Ames from 1884 to 1915 and postmaster from
1885 to 1890 and had an extensive "unofficial" involvement with Iowa
‑‑ Charles Henry Stange
served as dean of veterinary medicine from 1909 to 1936. Stange House
in North Friley Hall also is named in his honor.
to be named for
Henry C. "Harry" Wallace, 1893 graduate of Iowa State who became
editor of Wallaces Farmer upon his father's death in 1916 and
who later served as U.S. secretary of agriculture under President
Warren G. Harding.
‑‑ Adonijah S. Welch was
the first president of Iowa State College, serving from 1868 to 1883.
He was married to Mary B. Welch, for whom Welch Hall is named.
‑‑ James "Tama Jim" Wilson
was dean of agriculture from 1890 to 1897 and U.S. secretary of
agriculture for 16 years. Wilson Hall and Ames' Wilson Avenue also are
named in his honor.
‑‑ Col. Peyton Winlock was chief of the field artillery section of the
Army ROTC unit at Iowa State from 1937 to 1942.