‑‑ Ida Anders was on the household science teacher training faculty from
1920 to 1926. She also served as faculty adviser to the Home Economics
‑‑ Anna Helen Tappan was a mathematics faculty member from 1914 to 1917.
‑‑ Edith Barker joined the central staff of Extension Service of Iowa in
1923 and served as the state 4‑H Club leader from 1936 to 1946.
‑‑ Hazel Harwood joined Iowa State's staff as a women's adviser in 1919,
and from 1921 to 1923 served as dean of women.
‑‑ Florence E. Busse Smith
was Iowa State's head of food and nutrition from 1923 to 1924, and
acting head of home management from 1934 to 1935.
‑‑ Lillian Vollmer served Iowa State as a hall director from 1938 to
‑‑ Forest C. Dana joined
Iowa State in 1923 and was a professor of general engineering from
1926 to 1966. He also was supervisor of freshmen during engineering
orientation and tests for many years.
‑‑ Paulus Lange joined the
Iowa State faculty in 1920 and was an associate professor of English
and speech from 1932 to 1952.
House ‑‑ Ernest W. Lindstrom, from 1922 to 1947, served as professor and head
of genetics, and from 1936 to 1948 was the vice dean of the graduate
House ‑‑ W. H. Stevenson
came to Iowa State in 1902 and headed the farm crops and soils
department from 1910 to 1932 and at one time directed the Iowa Soil
‑‑ Quincy C. Ayres served
Iowa State for more than 40 years as a teacher and administrator. He
was secretary and manager of the Iowa State Research Foundation from
1938 to 1963 and assistant to the president from 1945 to 1953. He
pioneered the development of courses in soil and water conservation in
the department of agricultural engineering.
‑‑ Henry D. Bergman came to Iowa State in 1911. He was dean of veterinary
medicine and director of the Veterinary Medicine Research Institute
from 1943 to 1952.
‑‑ Samuel W. Beyer joined
Iowa State in 1891 as head of geology and mining engineering. He also
served as dean of industrial science (now the College of Sciences and
Humanities) from 1919 to 1931. Beyer Hall also is named in his honor.
‑‑ Wallace L. Cassell
joined the Iowa State faculty in 1939 and was professor of engineering
from 1941 to 1965.
House ‑‑ David S. Fairchild practiced medicine in Ames before he joined the
Iowa State staff as professor of anatomy and comparative physiology in
1879. He established the first college hospital at Iowa State.
‑‑ William Franklin came to
Iowa State in 1892 as head of the physics department, a position he
held until 1897.
‑‑ W. E. Harriman served as
college surgeon at Iowa State from 1895 to 1907.
‑‑ Madge E. McGlade served
as director of residence, director of housing and assistant dean of
women during her 34‑year career at Iowa State (1924‑58).
‑‑ Iza A. Merchant taught English and served as Iowa State's first
director of social life and helped organize various university and
community groups during her 35 years (1928‑63) at ISU.
‑‑ Cora B. Miller was a home economics instructor at Iowa State from 1916
to 1918 and head of the department from 1919 to 1937.
‑‑ Marcia E. Turner was an
associate professor of home economics at Iowa State from 1924 to 1940.
‑‑ Margaret E.
Durian was a member of the child development faculty from 1959 to
‑‑ Ethel Fosmark served as director of Freeman Hall during most of her
career at Iowa State (1942‑56).
King House ‑‑
Minnie King served
as director of Birch Hall during most of her career at Iowa State
‑‑ Frances Sims came to
Iowa State in 1925, and during her 14‑year career served as a
professor and head of textiles and clothing and director of personnel
‑‑ Millikan Stalker
was a professor of agriculture and veterinary science at Iowa State
from the 1870s to 1900. He was credited with starting the veterinary
medicine program at Iowa State.
‑‑ Iva Brandt joined the Iowa State faculty in 1912, and from 1920 to
1925 served as head of the textiles and clothing department.
‑‑ Paulene Lewelling Devitt served on the Iowa Board of Education from
1921 to 1933 and was active in the women's suffrage movement.
‑‑ Ellis I. Fulmer joined the Iowa State faculty in 1919 and was named
professor of chemistry in 1923. One of his major projects was helping
the library staff compile book collections in chemistry.
‑‑ Gertrude Hoxie served as
housemother for a number of Iowa State fraternities and sororities
from 1932 to 1955.
‑‑ J. W. Jesse Merrill was
at Iowa State from 1909 to 1955, serving as an assistant in dairy
industry, county extension director and district extension supervisor.
‑‑ Lowell 0. Stewart was
head of civil engineering from 1938 to 1957 and also served as acting
dean of engineering in 1946‑47. He joined the Iowa State faculty in
‑‑ Lenore Sullivan joined institution management in 1930 and served as a
professor from 1943 to 1966.
‑‑ Katherine Cranor came to Iowa State in 1921, was a professor of
household art (now applied art) during the early 1920s and professor
of textiles and clothing from 1928 to 1940.
‑‑ Florence Forbes served as extension home furnishings specialist for
the state 4‑H Girls Club from 1927 to 1947.
‑‑ Regina J. Friant came to Iowa State in 1922 and served as an associate
professor of home economics education until 1948.
‑‑ Ada Hayden served Iowa State as a botany professor, photographer and
accomplished research artist from 1920 to 1950. She also was curator
of the Iowa State herbarium from 1934 to 1950 and was the first woman
to earn the Ph.D. at Iowa State. The Ada Hayden Herbarium in Bessey
Hall also is named in her honor.
‑‑ Neale S. Knowles served as head of home economics extension from 1907
‑‑ Ida B. Shilling was on the Iowa State food and nutrition faculty from
1923 to 1946.
‑‑ Florence Walls served
Iowa State in various capacities from 1909 to 1948, including running
the food service as a private concession in the women's halls from
1912 to 1944 and supervising food service for Army personnel housed in
the women's halls during World War II.
Young House ‑‑
Madge Young served
as director of Roberts Hall from 1939 to 1943 and 1946 to 1947, and
was an assistant at Friley Hall until 1953.
‑‑ Mabel A. Anderson
joined the Iowa State staff in 1926 and was food service director at
the Memorial Union from 1928 to 1957. She also taught courses in
‑‑ Josephine Arnquist took charge of Iowa State's girls' club work in
1920 (there was no state club organization at that time). When she
retired as state leader in 1936, more than 15,000 young women were
taking part in the program.
‑‑ Susan L. Bates was a
member of the Iowa State household art (textiles and clothing) faculty
from 1920 to 1926.
House ‑‑ Lulu R. Lancaster joined the Iowa State home management (family
environment) faculty in 1923 and was professor and head of child
development from 1929 to 1935.
‑‑ Ingeborg G. Lommen joined the Iowa State foreign languages faculty in
1907 and was a professor from 1924 to 1933.
‑‑ Boyne Platt, a civil
engineering graduate of Iowa State, returned to ISU in 1936 as
superintendent of buildings and grounds. From 1945 to 1958 he was
business manager and secretary of the college and from 1958 to 1966 he
served as vice president of business and finance.
‑‑ Ben W. Schaefer joined the Iowa State staff in 1936 as assistant
superintendent of buildings and grounds and was director of the
physical plant from 1945 to 1968.
‑‑ Dora Gilbert Tompkins served as an instructor in English from 1905 to
‑‑ A. B. Caine came to Iowa
State in 1916 and was a professor of animal husbandry (animal science)
from 1936 to 1950.
‑‑ 0. H. Cessna, a member of Iowa State's first graduating class in 1872,
returned to the college in 1900 as head of history and psychology. He
was named college chaplain in 1902 and held both positions until 1929.
Ames' Cessna Street also is named in his honor.
House ‑‑ J. C. Cunningham served as a professor of horticulture and botany
during his career at Iowa State (1911‑48).
‑‑ Paul Emerson served as a member of the soils staff at Iowa State from
1915 to 1932.
‑‑ Guy S. Greene joined the Iowa State faculty in 1930 as head of the
speech department and became head of English and public speaking in
‑‑ A. Maurice Hanson was an associate professor of landscape architecture
from 1945 to 1960. He joined the faculty in 1934.
House ‑‑ Alfred P. Kehlenbeck was head of the Department of Foreign Languages
at Iowa State from 1950 to 1969.
‑‑ Leonard Wolf joined the
Iowa State faculty in 1937 as an assistant professor, was appointed
professor in 1946 and was head of the Department of Architecture and
university architect from 1953 to 1962.
House ‑‑ Margaret Doolittle came to Iowa State in 1890 and was a professor of Latin and
English and assistant preceptress until 1897.
‑‑ Almon H. Fuller was a professor and head of civil engineering from
1920 to 1937.
‑‑ Tolbert G. MacRae was a professor of music at Iowa State and the head
of the music department from 1920 to 1948.
‑‑ Thomas Joseph Maney came
to Iowa State in 1912, and from the 1920s through the mid‑1940s headed
the pomology subsection of the Iowa Agricultural Experiment Station.
‑‑ Charles Murray held a number of positions in veterinary medicine at
Iowa State, including dean from 1936 to 1943. He came to Iowa State in
‑‑ Hugo Otopalik joined the Iowa State staff in 1923 as wrestling coach,
developing the program into one of national prominence. He was on the
staff for 29 years.
‑‑ Esther Rawson became an assistant to the registrar at Iowa State in
1918, a position she held until 1963.
‑‑ Louis Bernard Schmidt was a member of the Iowa State faculty from 1906
to 1956, and was a professor and head of the history and government
department from 1930 to 1945.
‑‑ Thomas Franklin Vance
joined the Iowa State faculty in 1914. He was in charge of child
psychology from 1920 to 1927 and later was appointed a professor in
the child development department.
House ‑‑ John A. Wilkinson was a member of the chemistry faculty for more than
50 years, beginning in 1913. He was named a professor in 1919.
‑‑ George T. Baker served
on the Iowa Board of Education from 1909 to 1940, and was its
president from 1925 to 1940.
Boyd House ‑‑
William R. Boyd was a high
school principal and a newspaper editor before becoming chairman of
the finance committee of the Iowa Board of Education in 1909.
‑‑ Grace Campbell, an Iowa State alumna, returned to ISU in 1914 to teach
mathematics. She served in the registrar's office from 1928 to 1939.
‑‑ Winifred F. Coover came
to Iowa State in 1913 and from 1930 to 1944 was a professor and head
of the chemistry department.
‑‑ Walter Irving Griffith
was appointed director of WOI Radio in 1925, a position he held until
1946 when he became educational director of the station.
‑‑ Mary A. Lovelace taught
domestic economy and served as preceptress and housekeeper from 1870
‑‑ John Nielson had just completed his term of office as president of the
Men's Residence Association when he was killed in a car accident in
‑‑ W. R. Raymond served as
a professor of English and speech for 47 years, beginning in 1907.
‑‑ J. R. Sage joined the
Iowa State faculty in 1915 as a mathematics instructor. In 1920 he was
appointed Iowa State's first full‑time registrar, a position he held
‑‑ Arward Starbuck joined
the English department faculty in 1913 and was a member of the Iowa
State Daily Publication Board from 1925 to 1950.
House ‑‑ Paul Errington was a member of the Iowa State faculty for 30 years,
beginning in 1932. He was recognized internationally as a naturalist
and for his research on animal populations.
‑‑ A member of the Iowa State faculty from 1918 to 1965, Joseph C. Gilman
was named professor of botany in 1934 and was acting head of botany in
‑‑ George B. Hartman was a teacher and counselor at Iowa State from 1935
to 1960, with the exception of one year. He became head of the
forestry department in 1948.
House ‑‑ Marian Kilbourne served as dean of women and an art instructor from 1900 to 1909.
‑‑ William H. Lancelot came
to Iowa State in 1914, was appointed to the vocational education
faculty in 1918, was head of that department from 1923 to 1936 and was
on the faculty until 1944.
‑‑ Harvey Lee Lantz was on
the Iowa State faculty from 1917 to 1958. He was an associate
professor of horticulture and head of the pomology subsection of the
Iowa Agricultural Experiment Station.
‑‑ Robert M. McCowen worked at Iowa State from 1952 to 1965. He directed
the Men's Glee Club, festival chorus and Iowa State Singers and taught
conducting and voice.
‑‑ Bessie Uhl Nuckolls was housemother at Birch and Barton halls from
1937 to 1943, and at the Adelante fraternity from 1951 to 1963.
‑‑ Christian Petersen came to Iowa State in 1934 to complete the group of
figures in the Dairy Industry Building court. A sculptor of
international fame, he was appointed to the Iowa State staff in 1937.
Many of his sculptures are found on the ISU campus.
‑‑ Dorothy Rambo was a
housemother from 1962 to 1964 and was director of Freeman Hall from
1964 to 1967.
‑‑ Elsie Wilson Gwynne, a 1918 Iowa State graduate, returned to Iowa
State in 1925, teaching applied art until 1933.
‑‑ Earl A. Hewitt was on the Iowa State faculty from 1915 to 1919 and
from 1929 to 1963. In 1952 he became a professor and head of
veterinary physiology and pharmacology.
‑‑ Leslie Johnson, an Iowa State graduate, joined the faculty in 1954 as
a professor and head of animal science, a position he held for 13
‑‑ Robert W. Lamson, a 1928 graduate, returned in 1949 as freshman
football coach, assistant basketball coach and golf coach.
‑‑ John Roy Mashek was a professor of government and active in campus
activities for 22 years, beginning in 1943.
House ‑‑ Clarence H. Matterson served Iowa State in a variety of capacities
from 1939 to 1967, including as a professor and head of history,
government and philosophy.
‑‑ Eliza Owens was director
of the general course for women in domestic economy from 1888 to 1896.
House ‑‑ Ralph R. Rothacker came to Iowa State in 1922 and became a professor
of landscape architecture and the campus landscape architect. In 1932
he was put in charge of a major improvement project for Lake LaVerne.
‑‑ Henry A. Webber joined the college faculty in 1923 and was a professor
of chemical engineering from 1941 to 1961. He also served as a junior
and senior college counselor.
‑‑ Chester Hamlin Werkman came to Iowa State in 1921 and was
a professor and head of bacteriology from 1945 to 1957.
Working with graduate student Harland Goff Wood, he discovered the
process of heterotrophic CO2-fixation (known as the Wood-Werkman
‑‑ Alfred Bennett served Iowa State as the head of the chemistry
department from 1885 to 1913.
House ‑‑ William I.
Chamberlain was Iowa State's fourth president, serving from 1886 to
1890. Ames' Chamberlain Street also is named in his honor.
‑‑ Blair Converse came to Iowa State in 1919 and from 1927 to 1939 he
headed the department of technical journalism (now journalism and mass
‑‑ George W. Godfrey was Iowa State's director of agricultural relations
from 1936 to 1944.
‑‑ Allen Holmes Kimball came to Iowa State in 1914 and was head of
architectural engineering from 1915 to 1946. During that time, he
helped plan and design much of the Iowa State campus.
‑‑ Herman Knapp served Iowa
State as an instructor, treasurer, vice president and, from 1926 to
1927, acting president during his 52 years (1883 to 1935) at Iowa
State. He was the son of Iowa State's second president, Seaman A.
‑‑ James Rush Lincoln was gymnastics teacher and professor of military
tactics at Iowa State from 1883 to the early 1900s.
‑‑ Belle Lowe joined the
faculty in 1918 and was a professor of food and nutrition and home
economics research at Iowa State. In 1957 she was awarded an honorary
doctor of science degree from ISU.
House ‑‑ William Niles, a professor of veterinary medicine at Iowa State from 1891 to 1898,
helped develop an immunization against cholera for hogs. John Eldon
Foster was dean of men from 1922 to 1927 and later was dean of the
‑‑ Alvin B. Noble served
Iowa State as head of the English department from 1898 to 1929.
‑‑ Raymond A. Pearson was Iowa State's seventh president, serving from
1912 to 1926. Pearson Hall and Ames' Pearson Avenue also are named in
‑‑ Charles H. Stange was dean of veterinary medicine from 1909 to 1936.
Stange Road also is named in his honor.
‑‑ Edgar W. Stanton was acting president of Iowa State four times during
his career (1890‑91, 1902‑03, 1910‑12 and 1917‑18). The Stanton
Memorial Carillon is named for Stanton and his wife, Margaret McDonald
Stanton. Ames' Stanton Avenue is named for Edgar W. Stanton.
‑‑ Sylvia Anthony was a housemother at Iowa State for five different
groups from 1937 to 1952.
‑‑ John Simpson Dodds, a
1912 graduate of Iowa State, served most of his 38‑year career as a
professor of civil engineering at ISU.
House ‑‑ Anna M. Henderson was a member of the art faculty from 1916 to 1938.
‑‑ Tecla Hutton was a hall director from 1944 to 1956, most of that time
for Roberts Hall.
House ‑‑ Fred W. Lorch came
to Iowa State in 1921 and was a professor and head of the department
of English and speech from 1942 to 1959. Mabel Russell taught applied
art (originally called domestic art) at Iowa State from 1916 to 1952.
‑‑ Warren H. Meeker was an
Iowa State faculty member from 1891 to 1947, and served as head of the
Department of Mechanical Engineering from 1907 to 1934.
‑‑ Eda Lord Murphy was a member of the Iowa State household science (now
family environment) faculty from 1919 to 1923.
‑‑ Edna O'Bryan taught applied art at Iowa State from 1925 to 1964 and
served as acting department head from 1944 to 1948.
‑‑ Edith A. Palmer taught applied art at Iowa State from 1917 to 1923.
‑‑ Ellen Pennell served on Iowa State's home economics faculty from 1923
to 1928. She rejoined the faculty in 1950 and taught classes in home
economics journalism until 1955.
‑‑ Louis B. Spinney was head of physics and electrical engineering at
Iowa State from 1897 to 1909 and head of the physics department from
1909 to 1931.
‑‑ Helen Adelai Bishop joined the Iowa State faculty in 1926, and in 1929
was appointed professor and head of home management (family
‑‑ P. Mabel Nelson came to Iowa State in 1923, was named head of the
Department of Food and Nutrition in 1926 and was dean of home
economics from 1944 to 1952.
House ‑‑ M. Halstead
Carpenter aided in the development of Iowa State's residence hall
facilities as a member of the Iowa Board of Education from 1947 to
‑‑ Rosalind Cook was an
instructor in music and director of the Girls' Glee Club from 1922 to
‑‑ J. Brownlee Davidson served as professor and head of
agricultural engineering from 1907 to 1915 and 1919 to 1946. He joined the faculty in
1905. Davidson Hall also is named in his honor.
‑‑ Annie Wilson Fleming taught mathematics at Iowa State from 1900 to
‑‑ Byron David Halsted, following his position as managing editor of The
American Agriculturist, was professor of botany at Iowa State from
1885 to 1889.
‑‑ Anna B. Lawther served on the Iowa Board of Education from 1921 to
1941 and was the state's first Democratic National Committeewoman.
House ‑‑ Arnold R. Livingston, following his work as a member of the highway
commission, served on the Iowa State theoretical and applied mechanics
faculty from 1942 to 1955.
‑‑ Roy A. Norman, professor of mechanical engineering, was a member of
the faculty from 1907 to 1944.
‑‑ Harold Wyatt Richey was a professor of horticulture from 1921 to 1947.
He also was on the faculty from 1914 to 1916.
‑‑ Winifred Tilden founded
Iowa State's physical education program for women and was associated
with it from 1904 to 1944.
‑‑ Jay W. Woodrow joined the faculty in 1921 and was head of the physics
department from 1930 to 1947.
‑‑ F. E. Brown joined the
Iowa State faculty in 1917 and taught freshman and graduate chemistry
‑‑ Philip H. Elwood came to Iowa State in 1923 and was head of the
department of landscape architecture from 1929 to 1951. Elwood Drive
also is named in his honor.
‑‑ Bruce J. Firkins joined
the soils faculty in 1917. His teaching career at Iowa State spanned 43 years, mostly as a professor of
‑‑ Ernest S. Haber was a
professor and head of Iowa State's horticulture department from 1947
to 1961. Haber Road also is named in his honor.
‑‑ George W. Jones was a
member of Iowa State's first faculty, and at various times headed the
mathematics and civil engineering departments. He was on the faculty
from 1868 to 1874.
‑‑ Robert Roy Louden, during the 1940s and 1950s, served as chairman of
the building and business committee of the Iowa Board of Education.
House ‑‑ Gilmour B. MacDonald joined the forestry faculty in 1910. When
forestry and horticulture were made two separate departments in 1946,
he served as head of the forestry department until 1948. MacDonald
Woods near Ames also is named in his honor.
House ‑‑ Martin Mortensen headed the dairy industry department at Iowa State from 1909 to 1938.
Ames' Mortensen Parkway‑Road also is named in his honor.
‑‑ Louise Huntington Rowe
was a housemother at Iowa State from 1940 to 1958.
‑‑ Fern Luken Sadler was a housemother at Iowa State from 1932 to 1956.
She was the first director of Oak Hall