Sesquicentennial celebration

History of Iowa State: Campus Buildings

Sponsored by the University Archives, Iowa State University Library

Copyright 2006


For Whom it is Named

By David Craft (1983 Edition) and
Steve Jones (1989 Edition)
University Relations
University Archives  (2003 Edition)

City of Ames Streets Named for Iowa State People

According to the Ames City Plan Commission's "Street Naming Guide," adopted in February 1972, Ames streets in the area south of the main campus generally are named for prominent Iowa State persons. A few other Ames streets also are named for prominent ISU persons.

The city streets considered to be named after ISU personnel include:

Agg Avenue ‑‑ Thomas R. Agg was dean of engineering from 1932 to 1946.

Beach Avenue ‑‑ Spencer A. Beach was vice dean of agriculture and head of horticulture from 1905 to 1922. This street originally was spelled "Beech" but was changed by the Ames City Council to "Beach" in honor of S. A. Beach.

Cessna Street ‑‑ 0. H. Cessna came to Iowa State in 1900 as head of history and psychology and was named college chaplain in 1902. He served in those capacities until 1929. Cessna House in Larch Hall also is named in his honor.

Chamberlain Street ‑‑ William I. Chamberlain was ISU's fourth president, serving from 1886 to 1890. Chamberlain House in North Friley Hall also is named in his honor.

Curtiss Avenue ‑‑ Charles F. Curtiss joined the faculty in 1891 and was dean of agriculture from 1900 to 1933. Curtiss Hall and Curtiss Farm also are named in his honor.

Friley Road ‑‑ Charles E. Friley was Iowa State's ninth president, serving from 1936 to 1953. Friley Hall also is named in his honor.

Gaskill Drive ‑‑ Harold V. Gaskill came to Iowa State in 1930 and was dean of the science division from 1938 to 1955.

Hughes Avenue ‑‑ Raymond M. Hughes was Iowa State's eighth president, serving from 1927 to 1936. The former Hughes Hall was also named in his honor.

Hunt Street ‑‑ Leigh Hunt was Iowa State's third president, serving from 1885 to 1886.

Kildee Street ‑‑ Herbert H. Kildee was head of animal husbandry from 1918 to 1933 and dean of agriculture from 1933 to 1949. Kildee Hall also is named in his honor.

Knapp Street ‑‑ Seaman A. Knapp was Iowa State's second president, serving from 1883 to 1884. Knapp Hall also is named in his honor.

Marston Avenue ‑‑ Anson Marston was the first dean of engineering, serving from 1904 to 1932. He joined the faculty in 1892. Marston Hall, Marston Water Tower and Marston Court also are named in his honor.

Mortensen Road, Parkway ‑‑ Martin Mortensen headed the dairy industry department at Iowa State from 1909 to 1938. Mortensen House in South Helser Hall also is named in his honor.

Pearson Avenue ‑‑ Raymond A. Pearson was Iowa State's seventh president, serving from 1912 to 1926. Pearson Hall and Pearson House in North Friley Hall also are named in his honor.

Stanton Avenue ‑‑ Most likely named for Edgar W. Stanton, who served Iowa State in many capacities from 1872 to 1920. See also Stanton Memorial Carillon and Stanton House in North Friley Hall.

Storm Street ‑‑ There is disagreement as to whether this street is named after Ashley V. Storm, of the agricultural education department, or if an "s" was left off the end of the street name and it is to honor Albert Storms, Iowa State's sixth president, who served from 1903 to 1910.

Wilson Avenue ‑‑ James "Tama Jim" Wilson was dean of agriculture at Iowa State from 1890 to 1897 and was a U.S. secretary of agriculture for 16 years. Wilson Hall and Wilson Road also are named in his honor.