INDEX A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Sesquicentennial celebration

History of Iowa State: Campus Buildings

Sponsored by the University Archives, Iowa State University Library

Copyright 2006

 

For Whom it is Named

By David Craft (1983 Edition) and
Steve Jones (1989 Edition)
University Relations
University Archives  (2003 Edition)


Buildings Named for People

Andrews‑Richards House ‑‑ The west unit of this child development duplex is named for Benjamin R. Andrews, editor in the early 1900s of the American Home Economics Association journal. The east unit is named for Ellen H. Richards, the AHEA's first president.

Atanasoff Hall ‑‑ Named in honor of Iowa State alumnus John V. Atanasoff, who, as an Iowa State faculty member in 1939, invented the electronic digital computer with the assistance of graduate student Clifford Berry. Completed in 1969, this building was known as the Computer Science Building until it was renamed in 1988.

Barton Hall ‑‑ Built in 1918, the name was changed in 1928 from South Hall to Clara Barton Hall, in honor of the founder and first president of the American Red Cross. It is a residence hall.

Beardshear Hall ‑‑ ISU's main administrative building was completed in 1906 as Central Hall and renamed in 1938 in honor of William N. Beardshear, Iowa State's fifth president, who served from 1891 to 1902. His dedication and ability to organize Iowa State's faculty and courses helped bring the college into the 20th century.

Benton Auditorium ‑‑ This auditorium on the second floor of the Scheman Continuing Education Building is named for Thomas H. Benton, a 1914 Iowa State graduate and ISU benefactor.

Bergstrom Indoor Training Facility -- completed in 2003, was named in honor of lead donors Steve and Debbie Bergstrom.  The multi-purpose facility is utilized by athletic programs and for other general university activities and events.

Bessey Hall ‑‑ Completed in 1967, it is named for Charles E. Bessey, one of ISU's original faculty members (he taught at Iowa State from 1870 to 1884) and a respected research botanist. Bessey helped organize and was the first president of the Iowa Academy of Science. The building houses the departments of forestry, botany, plant pathology and biology.

Beyer Hall ‑‑ An indoor athletic and recreation complex, it was completed in 1964 and named in 1965 for Samuel W. Beyer, who joined the faculty in 1891 and served as dean of industrial science (today's College of Sciences and Humanities) from 1919 to 1931. Beyer has been called "a father of Iowa State athletics" by historian Earle D. Ross. Beyer House in Welch Hall also is named in his honor.

Black Engineering Building ‑‑ Completed in 1986, it is named for Henry M. Black, a 1929 graduate of Iowa State who served as professor and head of the mechanical engineering department from 1946 to 1972. The building houses the mechanical engineering and engineering science and mechanics departments.

Brunnier Gallery and Museum ‑‑ This gallery, on the third floor of the Scheman Continuing Education Building, is named for its primary benefactor, Henry J. Brunnier, a 1904 graduate, and his wife, Ann, who donated their vast collections, of ceramics, glassware, enamelware, dolls and other decorative arts.

Buchanan Hall ‑‑ This graduate student residence hall opened in 1964 and was named in honor of Robert E. Buchanan, who spearheaded ISU's work in the area of bacteriological classification. He was the first dean of the graduate division, serving from 1919 to 1948.

Carver Hall ‑‑ Completed in 1969, it is named for George Washington Carver, who received his bachelor's and master's degrees from Iowa State in 1894 and 1896, respectively. His innovative work as head of agriculture at Tuskegee Institute led to the discovery of hundreds of uses for peanuts, soybeans and other agricultural products. The hall houses the College of Sciences and Humanities and the College of Business Administration offices.

Coover Hall ‑‑ Opened in 1950, the Electrical Engineering Building was renamed in 1969 in honor of Mervin Sylvester Coover, who served as associate dean of the division of engineering from 1935 to 1954 and acting dean from 1957 to 1959.

Curtiss Hall ‑‑ Completed in 1909 as Agricultural Hall, it was renamed in 1944 to honor Charles F. Curtiss, who served Iowa State for 43 years and was dean of agriculture from 1900 to 1933. Curtiss aided in the development of the Iowa State Fair, and during his administration Iowa State developed the nation's first fully organized county cooperative extension service. The hall houses the College of Agriculture and Extension Services offices. Curtiss Farm and Ames' Curtiss Avenue also are named in his honor.

Davidson Hall ‑‑ The agricultural engineering lab was severely damaged by fire in 1941 and was rebuilt the next year. In 1975 it was named Davidson Hall to honor the former head of the department, J. Brownlee Davidson.  J. Brownlee Davidson joined the faculty in 1905. He served as professor and head of agricultural engineering from 1907 to 1915 and 1919 to 1946.  Davidson House in North Helser Hall also is named in his honor.

Durham Center ‑‑ The Charles W. Durham and Margre Henningson Durham Center for Computation and Communication opened in 1989. The Durhams are 1939 graduates of Iowa State whose $3 million contribution to expand computer facilities at ISU led to the construction of the center. It houses the Computation Center and the Telecommunications Office.

Eaton Hall -- formerly Union Drive Suite 1 (completed, 2002), was dedicated in 2003 in honor of Gordon Eaton  (b. 1929), Iowa State University president from 1986 through 1990.  More than 300 students will occupy residential suites in the 86,000 square foot building. 

Engel Laboratory ‑‑ This laboratory in Black Engineering Building is named for Raymond A. Engel, a 1929 graduate of Iowa State who donated the funds for the facility.

Fisher‑Nickell Hall ‑‑ Genevieve Fisher served as Iowa State's dean of home economics from 1927 to 1944. Paulena Nickell served as head of the home management department from 1936 to 1952. Opened in 1952, it is used as a residence hall.

Fick Observatory ‑‑ Erwin Fick, a resident of Davenport, admired Iowa State although he never set foot on campus. He gave ISU his investments, house and the bulk of his estate. His hobby was grinding lenses and making his own telescopes, and Fick Observatory near Boone was dedicated in his honor in 1970. The telescope in the observatory is named Mather Telescope in honor of Milo Mather, an amateur astronomer from Clarksville whose estate donated his home‑made telescope to ISU. The main 24‑inch mirror in the telescope has been remounted and is used in the Fick Observatory.

Fisher Theater ‑‑ Part of the Iowa State Center, this building was completed in 1973 and named in recognition of the contributions made by J. W. "Bill" Fisher, a 1936 Iowa State alumnus.

Barbara E. Forker Building -- formerly the Physical Education Building, was renamed in honor of Professor Barbara E. Forker, distinguished professor emeritus of physical education.  Forker, who retired in 1986, served as the first chairperson of the department of physical education, now the department of health and human performance.

Frederiksen Court -- was completed in 2003, and was named in honor of Charles Frederiksen, who led Iowa State's residence department from 1967 to 1996.

Freeman Hall ‑‑ Initially called East Hall when it was completed in 1916, this women's residence was renamed in 1928 to honor Alice Freeman, a University of Michigan alumna and one‑time president of Wellesley College in Massachusetts.

Friley Hall ‑‑ One of the largest residence halls in the nation, it is named for Charles E. Friley, ISU's ninth president, who served from 1936 to 1953. The first unit was built in 1927 and in 1936 officially named Hughes Hall in honor of Raymond M. Hughes, president of Iowa State from 1927 to 1936. In 1957, after several additions were built, the complex was renamed Friley‑Hughes Hall. In the mid‑sixties, the Hughes name was dropped. Ames' Friley Road also is named after Charles Friley.

Gerdin Business Building -- was completed in 2003, and named in honor of Russell and Ann Gerdin, lead donors.  Both Russ and Ann Gerdin were born in Minnesota and earned their degrees from Moorhead State University. 

Gilkey Courtyard ‑‑ The Herbert J. Gilkey Courtyard, which surrounds Black Engineering Building, is named in honor of the head of the department of theoretical and applied mechanics from 1931 to 1955.

Gilman Hall ‑‑ The 1913 Chemistry Hall was renamed in 1973 for Henry Gilman, recognizing one of Iowa State's most famous faculty members. Gilman is credited with laying the groundwork for the development of industries using plastics, particularly polyethylenes.

Hamilton Hall ‑‑ Built in 1940 as the Collegiate Press Building, this structure is named for Carl Hamilton, head of the ISU journalism department from 1962 to 1967 and vice president for information and development from 1967 to 1984. Hamilton Hall houses the Department of Journalism and Mass Communication and student publications.

Ada Hayden Herbarium ‑‑ This collection of plant specimens in Bessey Hall is named for the botany professor who worked at ISU from 1920 to 1950. She also was the first woman to earn the Ph.D. degree from Iowa State. Hayden House in Maple Hall also is named in her honor.

Heady Hall ‑‑ Built in 1970 as an addition to East Hall, it was renamed in 1982 to honor Earl 0. Heady, whose distinguished work in agricultural economics is known throughout the world. The hall houses the Department of Economics and the Center for Agricultural and Rural Development.

Helser Hall ‑‑ This men's residence hall, opened in 1957, was named in honor of Maurice D. Helser, Iowa State's first director of personnel and dean of the junior college from the early 1930s until 1955.

Hilton Coliseum ‑‑ Completed in 1971, this multipurpose athletic and activity building at the Iowa State Center is named in honor of James H. Hilton, ISU's 10th president, who served from 1953 to 1965. He was the first Iowa State graduate to become the institution's president and the originator of the campaign to build the Iowa State Center.

Hoover Hall -- is named for Gary Hoover, BSME'61, and his wife, Donna, who provided a leadership gift for the project.  The 70,000 square foot building features multidisciplinary labs, including a fabrication lab, a mechatronics lab, a 400-seat auditorium, and four large classrooms.

Howe Hall -- was built to house engineering teaching and research.  Completed in 1999, the building was dedicated in honor of donors Helen and Stanley Howe. Mr. Howe, chairman emeritus and a board member of HON INDUSTRIES, is a 1946 Iowa State engineering graduate.

Jacobson Athletic Building -- housing the Athletic Department, was completed in 1996 overlooking Jack Trice Stadium.  The Jacobson Building is named for Des Moines businessman and philanthropist, Richard O. Jacobson, the project's lead donor.  In addition to housing the Athletics Department, the building also includes ticket-selling operations, a 130-seat auditorium and a new athletic hall of fame.

Jischke Honors Building -- the Prairie Style honors building is named for Martin C. Jischke, Iowa State University president from 1991 to 2000. The 1,200 students in Iowa State's honors program take classes in the building's two traditional classrooms and a more informal class/project room, work on assignments in the computer lab, and study and visit in the two-story lounge and meeting area.

Johnny Majors Practice Fields -- honors the coach who led ISU to the 1971 Sun Bowl and 1972 Liberty Bowl. The project on the west side of Jack Trice Stadium will includes a 200-yard grass field and an extra-wide, 100-yard artificial turf field.

Kildee Hall ‑‑ Housing offices and laboratories for the Department of Animal Science, this building was completed in 1965 and named in honor of Herbert H. Kildee, who served as the head of the animal husbandry department from 1918 to 1933 and dean of agriculture from 1933 to 1949. Ames' Kildee Street also is named in his honor.

King Laboratory for Sustainable Design Practice -- The laboratory, attached to the College of Design, was funded by alumni Steven and Barbara (Class of 1968).  Their company, Landscape Structures, Inc., is a leader in sustainable design practices.  The laboratory will be used for study of sustainable environmental systems.

Knapp Hall ‑‑ Completed in 1966, it is named in honor of Iowa State's second president, Seaman A. Knapp, who served from 1883 to 1884. Knapp helped organize the cooperative demonstration farm program and county agent system, forerunner of the extension system. The hall is part of the Towers Residence Association. Ames' Knapp Street also is named in his honor.

Lagomarcino Hall ‑‑ Named in 1986 in honor of Virgil S. Lagomarcino, who joined the faculty in 1955, became the College of Education's first dean in 1968 and served until 1990. Formerly known as the Veterinary Quadrangle, the building's first section was opened in 1912. The facility was extensively remodeled in 1976 to house the College of Education and the Department of Psychology.

Lake LaVerne -- Lake LaVerne is named for LaVerne Noyes, a member of Iowa State's first graduating class in 1872.  Noyes, a successful businessman, provided the services of noted Chicago landscape architect O.C. Simonds to Iowa State in 1914.  Simonds, while working on a landscape plan for the south side of campus, suggested damming College Creek to provide for a lake.  The work was carried out during 1914 and 1915 at Noyes' expense.  The lake was named Lake LaVerne in Noyes' honor in 1916.

LeBaron Hall ‑‑ This west addition to MacKay Hall was finished in 1958, and in 1975 was named to honor Helen LeBaron Hilton, dean of home economics from 1952 to 1975.

Leopold Center ‑‑ The Aldo Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture, located in Agronomy Hall, was established in 1987. The center promotes agricultural systems combining responsible stewardship of natural resources with farm profitability. Aldo Leopold was an Iowa conservationist, ecologist and educator.

Lied Recreation Center -- The Lied Recreation Athletic Center was completed in 1990 as the Recreation Athletic Center.  It was renamed in 1995 after the Lied Foundation Trust donated a $5 million cash gift to Iowa State.  The gift was used to fund the Hixson Opportunity Awards—$10,000 grants that are offered to 100 Iowa high school seniors annually.  The building name honors the Trust's founder, Ernst F. Lied, a businessman and real estate developer originally from Omaha, Nebraska.

Lush Auditorium ‑‑ This lecture facility in Kildee Hall was built in 1965 and became Lush Auditorium in 1973 in recognition of Jay L. Lush, credited as the founder of scientific animal breeding.

Lyon Hall ‑‑ This women's residence hall, completed in 1914, was called West Hall from 1916 to 1928. It was renamed to honor Mary B. Lyon, founder of Mt. Holyoke College in Massachusetts, the first school of higher education for women.

MacKay Hall ‑‑ Known for nearly 50 years as Home Economics Hall, this 1911 building was renamed in 1958 in honor of Catharine MacKay, Iowa State's first dean of home economics, who served from 1912 until her death in 1921. She was president of the American Home Economics Association in 1916.

Marston Hall ‑‑ Completed in 1903 as Engineering Hall, it was renamed in 1947 to honor Anson Marston, first dean of engineering, who served from 1904 to 1932 after joining the faculty in 1892. He built the engineering division into one of national prominence and was largely responsible for the development of Iowa's early road system. Marston Court, Marston Water Tower and Ames' Marston Avenue also are named in his honor.

Moore Technology Transfer Center ‑‑ The Wayne R. Moore Technology Transfer Center at the Iowa State Research Park honors the man who helped establish the park. The center consists of several facilities housing small‑company research operations. Moore served Iowa State in several positions for 43 years, retiring as vice president for planning and development in 1989.

Barton Morgan Reading Room ‑‑ This room in Lagomarcino Hall is.named for the professor who came to Iowa State in 1923 and served as department head of vocational education from 1936 to 1950.

Morrill Hall ‑‑ Built in 1890‑1891, it was named after U.S. Sen. Justin Smith Morrill, who introduced a bill establishing state colleges nationwide through public land grants, a bill signed into law by President Abraham Lincoln. Iowa was the first state in the nation to accept the terms of the Morrill Act.

Olsen Building ‑‑ Completed in 1975, it is named in recognition of Ralph A. Olsen, a 1923 graduate and major contributor to ISU and its athletic programs. This structure at the north entrance of Cyclone Stadium provides administrative headquarters for the athletic department, football offices, training rooms and locker rooms.

Palmer Building -- is named for Iowa State alumni Barbara Raeder Palmer and James R. Palmer of State College, Penn., whose gift to Iowa State initiated the project. The three-story building officially opened in 2000, and includes space for the Child Development Laboratory School, Financial Counseling Clinic and Marriage and Family Therapy Clinic.

Parks Library ‑‑ The William Robert Parks and Ellen Sorge Parks Library was dedicated in 1984 in honor of Iowa State's 11th president and his wife. Mr. Parks served the longest tenure of any ISU president, 21 years (1965 to 1986). Mrs. Parks is a scholar who possesses a doctorate in political science and also has a deep interest in the library. The first section of the library was completed in 1925, and additions were finished in 1961, 1969 and 1983.

Pearson Hall ‑‑ Named in honor of Raymond A. Pearson, ISU's seventh president, who served from 1912 to 1926. This 1962 building houses the Media Resources Center and the departments of speech and foreign languages. Pearson House in North Friley Hall and Ames' Pearson Avenue also are named in his honor.

Pride Lounge ‑‑ The Col. Harold Pride Lounge in the Memorial Union is named in honor of the man who served as union director from 1928 to 1959 and also was secretary of the union corporation from 1922 to 1972. Pride, a colonel in the U.S. Army who served in both world wars, often was called "Mr. Memorial Union."

Roberts Hall ‑‑ This residence hall, built in 1936, is named in honor of Maria Roberts, who served in many capacities as a member of the ISU staff for 52 years and who helped establish Iowa State's first Student Loan Fund.

Reiman Gardens -- is named for Bobbi and Roy Reiman.  Roy attended Iowa State University and studied Agriculture Journalism, graduating in 1957. He and his wife Bobbi started a publishing company that publishes magazines such as Country Women, Country, Country Extra, Taste of Home, Reminisce, Reminisce Extra, Crafting Traditions, Farm and Ranch Living, Country Store, and Birds and Blooms.

Ross Hall ‑‑ This building, which houses the English, history, philosophy and political science departments, was completed in 1973 and named in honor of Earle D. Ross, professor of history from 1923 to 1958 and an Iowa State historian.

The Roy J. Carver Co-Laboratory -- was named for Roy J. Carver, an Iowa industrialist and philanthropist. The Roy J. Carver Charitable Trust, a private foundation in Muscatine, gave the $3 million lead gift.  The Co-Laboratory houses the Plant Sciences Institute. 

Scheman Continuing Education Building ‑‑ Completed in 1975, this building was financed by donations through the Iowa State University Foundation, including a $I million gift from Carl H. Scheman, a 1910 graduate of Iowa State. The building houses the Brunnier Gallery and Museum and Benton Auditorium.

Margaret Sloss Women's Center ‑‑ Named for the first woman veterinary medicine graduate of Iowa State and long‑time member of the veterinary medicine faculty. The Women's Center is in Sloss House, originally a faculty and staff residence built in the 1880s and named for one of its residents, long‑time superintendent of buildings and grounds Thomas Sloss, Margaret Sloss' father.

Snedecor Hall ‑‑ Completed in 1953, it is named for George W. Snedecor, who developed the first statistics course offered by Iowa State (in 1915), and who, in collaboration with Henry A. Wallace, helped establish Iowa State's Mathematics Statistical Service and the Iowa State Statistical Laboratory, the first in the U.S.

Spangler Geotechnical Laboratory ‑‑ This research facility west of the Iowa State campus is named for Merlin G. "Ib" Spangler, a civil engineering faculty member known for his work with soils and buried conduit. He retired in 1965.

Spedding Hall ‑‑ Opened in 1951, it is named for Frank H. Spedding, the first director of the Ames Laboratory of the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission (now the Department of Energy). One of America's leading atomic scientists, Spedding was a world authority on rare‑earth elements. Under his supervision, scientists at Iowa State contributed more uranium than any other source to the world's first nuclear reaction.

Stanton Memorial Carillon ‑‑ The Edgar W. and Margaret McDonald Stanton Memorial Carillon is located in the Campanile, built in 1899 to house a chime of 10 bells given to the school by Edgar W. Stanton. He was professor of mathematics from 1872 until his death in 1920, head of the mathematics department from 1876 to 1920 and acting president of Iowa State four times (1890‑91, 1902‑03, 1910‑13, and 1917‑18). His bequest to Iowa State financed the installation of 26 mare bells in the carillon and the Stanton Memorial Carillon Foundation has added 14 since 1954. Stanton House in North Friley Hall and Ames' Stanton Avenue also are named in Edgar Stanton's honor.

C. Y. Stephens Auditorium ‑‑ Opened in 1969, it is named for the 1925 Iowa State graduate who in 1962 made a then‑anonymous gift of $1 million to the Iowa State Center project. His total contributions helped begin a major fund‑raising drive that he headed until he was killed in a traffic accident the following year.

Storms Hall ‑‑ Opened in 1966, it is named in honor of Albert Boynton Storms, Iowa State's sixth president, who served from 1903 to 1910. It is part of the Towers Residence Association.

Sweeney Hall ‑‑ The building that houses the chemical engineering and nuclear engineering departments was renamed in 1964 to honor Orland Russell Sweeney, holder or co‑holder of nearly 300 patents and head of Iowa State's chemical engineering department from 1920 to 1948.

Thielen Student Health Center (1997) -- was named for Thomas B. Thielen, vice president emeritus for student affairs.  Thielen served as vice president for student affairs at Iowa State from 1977 to 1997, and worked closely with student leaders to create a new student health center. The Government of the Student Body endorsed the naming of the building for Thielen.

Capp Timm Field -- Iowa State's varsity baseball diamond was moved to the Southwest Athletic Complex in 1968.  Its previous location was just west of the current site of Town Engineering.  It was named Capp Timm Field in 1974 in honor of retiring coach Leroy C. "Capp" Timm, who had been head coach for ISU's baseball teams from 1937 to 1974.  During those years he also taught physical education and served as assistant football coach (1934-1955), assistant basketball coach (1938-1950), and head athletic trainer.

Town Engineering Building ‑‑ Named in honor of George R. Town, professor and dean of the College of Engineering from 1959 to 1970. This 1971 building houses the aerospace engineering and civil and construction engineering programs.

Jack Trice Stadium -- Jack Trice Stadium is named for Iowa State's first African-American athlete who died October 8, 1923 as the result of injuries received in a football game with the University of Minnesota.  The stadium was completed in 1975, and was named Cyclone Stadium and Jack Trice Field in 1984.  It was renamed Jack Trice Stadium in 1997.

Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall (Music Building) -- The Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall is located in ISU's Music Building which was completed in 1980.  It was renamed for Marshalltown philanthropist Martha-Ellen Tye shortly after her death in 1998.  In the fall of 1997, she had given the University a $1.1 million gift to create a performing arts scholarship endowment, establish a performing arts institute, and renovate the recital hall.  She had also been the lead donor for the 1995 renovation of Fisher Theater, which is named for her brother, J.W. "Bill" Fisher.

Veenker Memorial Golf Course -- The course is named for George F. Veenker, who served as Iowa State's head football coach from 1931 to 1936, and as Athletic Director from 1933-1945.  The golf course was conceived and built through Veenker's efforts, and was completed in 1938.  It was designed by Perry Maxwell, a well-known golf course architect, and was executed with the use of Civilian Conservation Corps and Works Progress Administration labor.  The course was named for Veenker shortly after his death in 1959.

Henry A. Wallace Center for Agricultural History and Rural Studies ‑‑ This center works to bring together researchers, archivists and teachers interested in the historical problems associated with 20th century agriculture. Wallace was a 1910 graduate of Iowa State, who served as U.S. secretary of agriculture and was the vice president in Franklin Roosevelt's third term. Wallace Hall also is named in his honor.

Wallace Hall ‑‑ This part of the Towers Residence Association opened in 1967 and was named in honor of Henry A. Wallace, a 1910 graduate of Iowa State. Wallace's knowledge of the agricultural community led him from his work in genetics and statistics to positions as U.S. secretary of agriculture and vice president in Franklin D. Roosevelt's administration. The Henry A. Wallace Center for Agricultural History and Rural Studies also is named in his honor.

Welch Hall ‑‑ This residence hall, built in 1929, is named for Mary B. Welch, who founded the home economics program at Iowa State and taught English and elocution. She was the wife of Iowa State's first president, Adonijah S. Welch.

Wilhelm Hall ‑‑ The former Metallurgy Building, completed in 1949, was named in 1985 for Harley A. Wilhelm.' Wilhelm is co‑inventor of the process for large‑scale production of uranium, which led to the world's first nuclear chain reaction. He came to Iowa State in 1928 and retired in 1971 after being granted 42 patents in metallurgy. He was the first deputy director of the Ames Laboratory.

Clyde Williams Field ‑‑ Called State Field when it opened in 1910, the name was changed in 1938 to honor the man who served as athletic director at Iowa State from 1915 to 1919. It was Iowa State's football field through the 1974 season. The stadium was razed in 1978.

Wilson Hall ‑‑ The fourth and final section of the Towers Residence Association was completed in 1969 and named in honor of James "Tama Jim" Wilson. He served as dean of agriculture at Iowa State from 1890 to 1897 and served as U.S. secretary of agriculture for 16 years. Wilson Road and Ames' Wilson Avenue are named in his honor.