of Tribal Initaitive --College of
Agricultural Education and Studies
004 Curtiss Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa 50011
- Educational Background
- B.S. Agricultural Education, Iowa State University, 1950.
M.S. Agricultural Education, Iowa State University, 1955.
Ph.D. Major - Agricultural Education, Iowa State University, 1969 Minor -
- Occupational Experience
- July 1, 1998 - Present. Professor of Agricultural Education and Studies.
Coordinator of College of Agriculture Tribal Task Force.
- July 1, 1995 - July 1, 1998. Professor and Coordinator for Off-Campus
Professional Degree Programs, Iowa State University
- September 1, 1989 - June 3O, 1995. Associate Dean and Director of International
Aahculture Programs, College of Agriculture, Iowa State University
- October 1, 1982 August 31, 1989. Assistant Dean for Off-Campus Degree
Programs, College of Agriculture, Iowa State University
- July 1, 1971 - June 30, 1982. Professor and Head of Agricultural Education
Department, Iowa State University
- July 1, 1967 - June 30, 1971. Assistant Professor in Charge of Farm
Operation Curriculum, Iowa State University
- July 1, 1965 - June 30, 1967. Instructor, Agricultural Education Department,
Iowa State University
- July 1, 1950 - June 30, 1965. I-High School Vocational Agriculture Instructor
Story City, and Sac City, Iowa
- Relevant Past Major Responsibilities
- Associate Dean for Intl. Agr. Programs
- Assistant Dean for Distance Education
- Administrative Director for Interamerican Center of Science and Technology
- Directed W. K. Kellogg- Foundation project for improvement of off campus
instruction Preparation of Grants and Contracts
- Directed strategic planning process for College of Ag.
- Directed the telecommunications for credit course for College of Ag.
- Responsible for Faculty Professional Developmental Program
- Taught two - graduate courses - AG Ed 520 Methods of Instruction - AG
- Major professor for graduate students
- Record of Leadership for Contracts and Grants
- 67 proposals submitted @ $66,304,562 1990-1995 43% proposals approved =
29 @ $12,819,501
- Service and Leadership Awards
- Gama Sigma Delta Award of Merit for Distinguished Service to Agriculture,
- Named as one of the nations top ten leaders in agricultural education
throughout the history of agricultural education.
- Named Outstanding Agricultural Teacher Educator in the United States.
- Named for Distinguished Service by the American Vocational Association.
- Recipient of the Wilton Park Award for Outstanding Service for International
- Alumni Medal for Distinguished Service at Iowa State University.
- Crawford, Harold R. and David L. Williams, A Vocational Agriculture Teacher's
Emergency Certification Program, An Iowa Department of Public Instruction
Final Report, Agricultural Education Department, Iowa State University, June,
1975, 32 pp.
Crawford, Harold R. and Richard I. Carter, Standards for Quality Vocational
Programs in Agricultural/Agribusiness Education, a USOE Project publication.
Agricultural Education Department, State University, March 1977, 102 pp.
Carter, Richard I. and Harold R. Crawford, "What Professional Competencies
are Needed by Beginning Teacher Educators in Agricultural Education?",
The journal of the American Association of Vol. 18, no. 2, July 1977, pp 19-24.
Crawford, Harold R., "Extension Education Should Not Be a Part of Agricultural
Education." Journal of the American Educator Vol. 18, no. 2 July 1977, pp 3,7.
Crawford, Harold R., "Standards Set for Quality Programs in Vocational Agriculture."
American Vocational Journal. Vol. 52, no. 7, October 1977, pp 31-33.
Crawford, Harold R. and Richard I. Car-ter, "Standards for Quality Vocational
Programs in Agricultural/Agribusiness Education." A USOE Project Final Report,
Agricultural Education Department-Iowa State University, November 1977.
Pals, Douglas A. and Harold R. Crawford, "Roles and Responsibilities of Selected
Agencies and Groups in Providing In-Service Education for Vocational Agriculture
Instructors of Iowa." The Journal the American Association of Teacher Educators
in Agriculture. Vol. 2 1, no. 1, March 1980, pp 26-31.
Lindahl, Thomas J. and Harold R. Crawford, "Perceived Qualifications and Professional
Competencies Needed by Postsecondary Agriculture Teachers." The Journal of the
American Association of Teacher Educators in Agriculture. Vol. 21, no. 1, March
1980, pp 46,52, 56.
Crawford, Harold R., "Agricultural Education Standards." Voc Ed. Vol. 56,
no. 2, March 1982, pp 35-36.
Crawford, Harold R., "How Agricultural Education Drafted Standards." School
Show 1982, pp 51-52.
Woolley, D.G. and H. R. Crawford, "An Off-campus Graduate Program in Agriculture
at Iowa State University." Journal of Agricultural Education. Vol. 16, no. 2,
Fall 1987, pp 88-90.
Miller, Bruce E. and Harold R. Crawford, "Participant Motivation in Off-campus
Agriculture Programs at Iowa State University." National Agricultural Education
Research Meeting -- Proceedings Seventeenth Annual Meeting, November 30, 1990,