"BSD is for people who love Unix..."
The OpenBSD project produces a FREE, multi-platform 4.4BSD-based
UNIX-like operating system. Our efforts emphasize portability,
standardization, correctness, proactive security
cryptography. OpenBSD supports binary emulation of most programs
from SVR4 (Solaris), FreeBSD, Linux, BSD/OS, SunOS and HP-UX. (taken from the OpenBSD
OpenBSD 3.8 began shipping
Nov. 1, 2005 and contains many improvements. It can be installed
freely over FTP and HTTP using only a boot floppy, by cdrom, or by other
On the Iowa State University
network? Consider using OpenBSD at ISU:
- Out of the box Kerberos
support, for use with:
- fetchmail - a
command-line mail retriever
to Project Vincent with Kerberos and encryption!
- Other software for use in the ISU Network environment:
- OpenSSH - Connect to departments
through Secure Shell!
- a DHCP client for gaining network access (if necessary)
lynx web browser which can be used with netreg
- NTP implementation: sync with time.iastate.edu
- A clean, configurable, scaleable packet filter
- Desktop software:
Ports support for
popular software like Mozilla/Firefox, instant messaging, audio and
video players, photo and graphic editing, PDF documents, and numerous
other common file formats.
- X.org and XFree86 available for graphical computing
- Support for popular window managers such as Gnome, KDE, blackbox,
- SMB support for accessing and/or serving Windows file shares through Samba
- Appletalk support for talking to some Macintosh machines
- NFS and AFS for other Unix-based systems
- Binary emulation of numerous platforms
- Unique Features and themes:
- Widespread and increasing use of privilege separation
- Apache webserver runs chroot
provides fine-grained control capabilities
- A strong preference for quality over bloated design
- Poor college student? OpenBSD is lightweight and
free. No need for an expensive computer or EULA.
- Extensive hardware support: 16 architectures
plus support for new and exotic gear.
- OpenBSD is one of
the most secure easily available operating systems - and free at that! ;-)
- Many of the Anonymous
CVS Servers are reachable over Internet2 and are not bogged down.
- Short on time like everyone else? Avoid downtime: OpenBSD is mature and reliable.
- Funky enough to ship theme songs.
- There is even a Free Unix Group
on campus, for help with OpenBSD and other free/open-source software.
Other Pages on the ISU Free Unix User's Web Compendium:
Last Modified: Saturday, January 7, 2006