Petrographic Industrial Reserch Lab
Franek Hasiuk, Ph.D
Paul Spry, Ph.D
Iowa State University prides itself in its land grant heritage of developing new technologies and applying them to needs of society and business. PIRL facilitates such interaction by providing a simple mechanism for industry and academia to collaborate on small projects related to interpreting petrographic and petrophysical data. In addition, scientists working through PIRL can provide on-site or on-campus training courses.
Fees from work through PIRL go to upkeeping petrographic equipment as well as providing for student stipends and travel and research expenses.
This laboratory provide the following services:
- Description and interpretation of petrographic thin sections and core material.
- Interpretation petrophysical and well log data
- Coordination of sample preparation and analysis between industry partner and third parties (including the ISU Stable Isotope Lab)
- Advise on sampling plans and protocols with industry partners
- Perform on-site core and thin section description.
- Execute field geological mapping projects
- Provide training courses at industry locations or Iowa State facilities in Ames or Wyoming