Franciszek J. "Franek" Hasiuk
Assistant Professor & Morehouse Faculty Fellow
|Ph.D.||Geological Sciences, University of Michigan, 2008|
|M.S.||Geological Sciences, University of Michigan, 2005|
|B.S.||Geoscience (with honors), University of Iowa, 2003|
|B.A.||Classics (Greek and Latin), University of Iowa, 2003|
|H.S.||American Community School, Abu Dhabi, UAE, 1998|
- Carbonate Chemistry: Refine understanding of how seawater chemistry and temperature affect carbonate chemistry through experimental culturing. Better estimates of both quantities would aid paleoclimatological, tectonic, and burial history studies
- Carbonate Sedimentology & Diagenesis: Develop new models for understanding the sedimentology and diagenesis of fine-grained and/or microporous carbonates as well as the distribution of non-carbonate reservoir cements to improve development of water, petroleum, and CO2 sequestration resources
- 3D Printing and Digital Rock Physics: Explore new ways of describing the 3-D nature of porous materials and then producing models of rock pore networks with 3-D Printing
- Road Aggregates: Identify the geological factors leading to superior performance of limestone in road construction
- Iowa Geology: Apply new tools and techniques to answer questions about Iowa's geologic history and the distribution of resources
Iowa State Foram Farm
The shell chemistry of Foraminifera is the pre-eminant oceanography proxy for paleotemperature. Down on the Foram Farm we will be growing these single celled organisms to see how their chell chemistry is affected by changes in water temperature and chemistry with the goal of building more robust paleotemperature proxies that can be used in deep time studies of paleoclimate. Click here for more info.
Geological Fabrication Laboratory (GeoFabLab)
The STL is where petrography, petrophysics, image analysis, and geochemistry are employed together to best describe sedimentary rocks for the purposes at hand. Click here for more info.
Petrographic Industrial Research Laboratory (PIRL)
The PIRL provides an administratively simple way for industry to access petrographic services while providing students with the opportunity to learn how to describe petrographic thin sections and interpret petrophysical data. Click here for more info.
Absolute Gravity Measurement at Iowa State
The National Geodetic Survey will measure absolute gravity (9.81... m/s^2) at Iowa State University this Summer 2014. I'm helping coordinate all the stakeholders. Click here for more info.
Geological Kids Books
Are you looking for some good children's books with geological themes? Click here!