409 Ross Hall, Iowa State Universiy, Ames, Iowa 50011
Ph. (515) 294-9981
· Director of First-Year Composition
· Associate Professor of English Education
· Ph.D., English Education, The University of
Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa. August 1996
· M.A. English, Middlebury College, Middlebury, Vermont, 1990 (two summers at BreadLoaf School of English, Vermont; 60% of course work at Lincoln College, Oxford University, Oxford, England)
· M.S. Journalism and Mass Communications, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 1984
· B.S.E. English Education, Northeast Missouri State University, Kirksville, Missouri, 1973
· mentoring beginning teachers
· young adult literature
· composition pedagogy
Mentoring Across Boundaries: Helpi ng Beginning Teachers Succeed in Challenging Situations. Stenhouse, 2003. (coauthors Jean Boreen and Mary K. Johnson)
Mentoring: Guiding, Coaching, and Sustaining Beginning Teachers. Two-part videotape series. Stenhouse, 2003. (coauthor Jean Boreen)
Mentoring the Beginning Teacher: Guiding, Reflecting, Coaching. Stenhouse, 2000. (coauthors Jean Boreen, Mary K. Johnson, Joe Potts)
· Choice Award for Outstanding Academic Book Title, Choice, Association of College and
Research Libraries, 2000.
· International Scholarship for Dissertation Research, Delta Kappa Gamma International, 1995.
· First-Year Composition (English 104, English 105)
· Teaching the Reading of Young Adult Literature (English 394)
· Practice and Theory of Teaching Writing in the Secondary School (English 392)
· Practice and Theory of Teaching Literature in the Secondary School (English 494)
· Student Teaching (English 417)
· Teaching Literature and the Literature Curriculum (English 521)
· Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 1996-2004.
· The University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, 1993-1996.
· Kirkwood Community College, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 1994-1996.
· Belmond-Klemme Community High School, Belmond, Iowa, 1978-1993.
· Manson Community Middle School, Manson, Iowa, 1973-1978.
Iowa State University Foundation Award for Early Achievement in Teaching, 2002
Outstanding Young Educator Award, Belmond Community, Belmond, Iowa, 1981
· Committee Member, ISU English Department, Administrative Committee
· Chair, ISU English Department, Chair of First-Year Composition
· President, Iowa Consortium of Educators
· State Liaison to NCTE Board of Directors (former president, Iowa Council of Teachers of English, 1991-1992)
· Secretary, state chapter of Delta Kappa Gamma, womenπs educational group
· Co-chair, Iowa Content Reading Network, Iowa Department of Education
· Advisory Board Member, Iowa Writing Project
Distinguished Service Award, Iowa Council of Teachers of English, 1994
Distinguished Service Award, Belmond Community, Belmond, Iowa, 1987