I am committed to five core educational values
- Research and student learning are the two paramount missions of a university
- A university must serve society by generating and helping to apply knowledge
- People are key to a university's success in its mission
- Partnerships are more effective than isolated efforts.
- Policies and structures must align with the university's purpose or else progress will be inefficient
These principles guide my work as an Assistant Dean in the Graduate College, my HHMI work to retain science majors by having all students do science within their lab courses, and my scholarly work in both physics and learning research.