Translation of obituary of Mrs. Ingeborg Mathre, written by her

husband, Anders S. (Larsson) Mathre, for the Lutheraneren.


  Mrs.Ingeborg Thompson Mathre 1834-1900


Mrs. Ingeborg Mathre has with the faith of her Savior moved home.It

came to my thoughts a little note about my wife's life-time in the

Lutheraneren that she much loved to read, and I know Mrs. Mathre had

many friends in Iowa, Minnesota, S. Dakota, etc, that would like to

know from the Lisbon congregation that one of our older members has

been called away from us.

Ingeborg Mathre was born of parents Thorbjørg Hansen (sic - should be

Halvarsson) and Helga Anfinsen (ed. - that is Anfinnsdatter)at the

farm Fleshe (ed. - i.e. Flesjo[1])in Skånevik parish, Norway, the 29th

May 1834.She was the next to eldest of seven brothers and sisters.

The oldest had died, before Ingeborg could remember her[2]. In those

days there was a big blessed Conversion as far back as Ingeborg could

remember, song and God's word was used in the home.When there was

service at the church she was taken along.This way Ingeborg was

taught with both words and admonishing in her baptism and it was not

only her father and mother but also other Christians that came to the

house and she was brought up as a Christian child. Of these

especially to laymen, O. Vinje and A Frette, that held meetings and

talked on Psalms 4 and 5: Look upon the Lord that he can give you

your heart's demand, ask the Lord and He will help you.These words

were printed deep in Ingeborg's heart and gave her all her days a big


Here is the tale of the journey to America.Two of my[3] uncles

(mother's brothers) had gone in 1845.Some of my3 uncles (father's

brothers) went next, and in 1847 my3 parents and many others of the

area prepared themselves for that trip.We sailed from Bergen in

May.We were on the ocean six weeks and another three weeks across

land by train. It was not exactly a pleasant trip especially for the

older people; but we had God's Word with us, in which we faithfully

trusted especially while we were on the ship, and we all reached our

destination, Lisbon, Kendall Co., Ill.It did get to be close

quarters for us to live together.It was decided to do a little

building, and we have God's word with us.We have books from Luther,

Francke, Samlingen,etc.Also a book "Hans Nelson Hauge" and others. 

Some of this literature is used to this day when a pastor is with us.

Two years after our arrival came the Cholera.This pestilence came

with the new arrivals, and now sought to touch everyone. First, it

came to Ingeborg's uncle (mother' brother), he died, so died uncle

Ole[4], then another of her uncles (mother's brother) became sick.

Ingeborg's parents lived about 100 rods away; as they tended to their

He5 had said to his wife: "do not grieve for me; I am going home and

you and the youngest children will soon follow".Ingeborg was not at

home, as she was with an American family.She was sent for, but

before she reached home, her father was dead and buried.She was

overcome with grief as she came to the house and distraught.Two of

the children became sick, one died the following day and one the day

thereafter 6, and her mother became sick.It was an unpleasant time.

Ingeborg sat at her sick mother's bedside, and also tended the

smallest sick children in her lap, outside the door was one of the

dead lying in an uncovered coffin, and then came a storm with

thunder, lighting and rain.Her mother had rested a while, crossed

herself, changed her dress, and laid down again, and said "now I am

ready for dear Jesus, now you can take me and the younger children

from Ingeborg's grasp".Then she saw that meanwhile the children had

already died.Her mother consoled Ingeborg and her sister who was

next oldest in age7.Her name was Udna. They gently listened to their

mother, who admonished them to trust in God's faithful hand.

It went as the mother had said.In less than five days, six members

of the family were dead8, and Ingeborg and Udna were left.They moved

over to the uncles' (mother's brothers) house. There were not many

left there either; three uncles9 (mother's brothers) were dead, as

well as Uncle Anfin's wife9.However, the youngest of four uncles

(mother's brothers) lived and still lives in Story City, Iowa.He10

will soon be 80 years old and was my schoolteacher in Norway.Also,

the widow of Ole was living until about four years ago.She11 lived

in the vicinity of that place where all her dearly beloved died. 

These were all buried on her land.Two years later Udna also died,

so now only Ingeborg was left.Everyone had sympathy for her.She

went into service with a Christian American, who took her to church

and prayer meetings, but whenever she had an opportunity, she visited

the Norsk.

Elling Eilson came to see us one time.Ole Andrewson was also our

pastor at one time.Ingeborg and my youngest sister - they were all

about 18 years old - now wanted to go to confirmation classes.Then

came P. A. Rasmussen to teach school, and they had him take over.In

a year's time came Elling Eilson and confirmed them.They got much

good and Blessing from that.Not long after the third girl died also

my sister died 24 years ago.She and Ingeborg were the best of

friends.They both had faith in God and the Pakt and lift that the

triumphant God had given them.They asked for the Holy Ghost to help

them and got God's Power to that effect.

Then my Father asked me if I wanted to marry Ingeborg.He thought

she was a firm believer and a nice girl. And if it is God's will and

also if you all approve of it, then so shall it be.I was young but

I knew if I should live luckily.Then I must pray that God's will be


The same was also clear for Ingeborg who did not have many to advise

her.She wanted to do God's way, as He was to depend on.P. A.

Rasmussen had now become pastor of the congregation and it was

announced that the wedding should be April 22, 1854.We were three

bridal couples that were married the same time.The other were my 

oldest brother, Halvar, also Ole Rasmussen Tysdal.TheOther two

couples moved shortly to Iowa - Halvar to Story City and Ole to

Roland, Iowa.All six have lived to this time.Now Ingeborg has

left us.Now we hope the five of us that are left willhopefully be

among the maidens that kept their Lamps burning.

We moved to the 40 acres of land that had been Ingeborg's parents and

purchased another 40 acres. There have we lived until now. God has

presented us 13 children.Six are dead, five at a young age, but the

sixth, Syvert, was 30 years old when he died. That was a sad death

message.He had moved to Story City, Iowa and lived in the

neighborhood of his oldest sister.Monday, July 17, 1893, he

hastened to begin the haying. Hurrying in taking down the hay rake,

he slipped, fell over backwards, and hit his head on a stone.He

lived less than an hour after falling. It was with heavy hearts that

his parents received the telegram about his quick death, and it was

surely very sad for his mother, but she comforted herself with the

Word: "In quietness and in confidence shall be your strength" and

"Behold I make all things new. Cast thy burden upon the Lord and he

shall sustain thee."

It was my wife's wish to be with the sick and help them.

She looked on it as a call from God to do these things.

Also for the mission - both the inner and outer mission

she had a warm interest.For 35 years, she worked in the Ladies Aid


For about one year she started to lose strength and lost her

appetite.She saw a doctor but found no help.The doctor said she

should be outside and ride some and she tried.She asked if she

could go to the Mission meeting in Chicago in February, as she always

liked to be there when they had Group meetings.We decided she could

go and she and our youngest daughter who had been home and helped us,

went to the meeting.It was a blessed trip for both body and soul. 

Towards spring she got pain in her side and back.The doctor thought

it was some type of rheumatism.But he knew no cure.He did what he

could, but both Ingeborg and I thought it was coming towards death,

and we had to leave it in the will of God, and as we have seen

before, that the time comes that we have to part.

She said one day that she wanted to give $15.00 to the heathen

mission, $15.00 to the Inner mission, $5.00 to Pastor Skare, $1.00 to

Deaconess Hospital and $1.00 to Childrens Home.A few days later she

said Pastor Peterson should not eulogize her as she was a sinner. 

Also she asked us not to purchase an expensive casket as that would

be no use, and that we all decided would be useless.I remember

these words: Do not aspire or strive after things that covet or have

designs on you.

We saw she was growing weaker.Early in the morning the 28th of

September we could see her face was very pale.Something I had never

seen before.I gave her my hand and asked if she had faith in Jesus.

Sshe answered loudly Yes! Yes! that was the last words she spoke, and

that was enough for her and us that stood aroundher bed.That was

7:45 in the morning.Six of the children had been with her, some

during the last six weeks, some the last 2 weeks, the three are

married and live in Iowa.The seventh one was here to visit in

July.Thus the mother had a chance to say goodbye to them all.We

hope they can all meet with God where there is no parting.Yes for

Jesus sake it can be.His name be praised.

She was buried Oct. 1. We gathered at the funeral home 

10:30., and Prof. Solberg from Ottawa had prayer in 

English,Then Pastor Lockrem spoke, also in English. 

Topic:John 17:4.He said that what is written in this 

verse first and last is all about Christ, but that it 

can also influence all his true followers.In the 

church Pastor N. G. Peterson spoke in Norwegian about 

John 11:2.When Mary now came, where Jesus was, and 

saw him, she fell on her knees.He emphasized how 

Jesus showed his sympathy to all who are in sorrow and 

showed how everyone gets help from God, when they need 

trust and help for both soul and body.We will then 

tell everyone here to wisely turn to Jesus that is 

Death and Life's Lord.Last - Pastor Lockrem talked 

again in Norwegian on Tim 2:4-7.I have fought the 

good fight, fullfilled my deeds, heeded the faith, 

etc..Then the large group of mourners went around

the casket and took their last look at the sleeping 


Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord, and Blessed be 

the memory.The Lord, Praise and honor.Jesus Lamb that 

won Paradise - to you - Love.Thanks and honor.

11 Oct 1900

It is only with true faith in small things, true lasting love to God

that a true change can be seen from a foregoing spiritual warmness. 

To be quiet, suffer and pray when we can't handle a sutuation is

favorable to God.A disappointment or anything as a HARD WORD used

in His area is worth more than a long prayer.You that complain so

much about what others bring you to suffer, don't you think that you

also give others pain.


[1]See SkaneviksogaII GARDAR OG AETTER I AKRA, pp.225-226,

Vesterheim Genealogical Center, Madison, WI

[2]This sister is not listed in above reference, but could be

verified by checking the Skånevik parish records.

[3]This should be checked for correct translation; does he mean his

uncles and parents or hers?

[4]This would be Ola Anfinnsson, brother of Helga Anfinnsdatter,

born 1813 in Indre Bauge, who married Ragna Henriksdatter of Ytre

Nes, and emigrated to America in 1847. His death is recorded in

the 1850 mortality table of Nettle Creek, Grundy County, IL as:

Ole Bouge, age 36, farmer from Norway, was sick 12 hours of

cholera, died July 1849. A 5 month old girl, Olena, born IL,

who also died in July of cholera after being sick 7 days,

was presumably a daughter.

His widow is the one who married Sjur Larsson of Matre as his

second wife.Bauge seems to have been anglicized as Boyd.

5This would be Torbjørn Halvarsson, father of Ingeborg, born 1803

in Flesjo, who emigrated to America in 1847.His death is

recorded in the 1850 mortality table of Nettle Creek, Grundy

County, IL as:

Thomas Thorborn, age 45, farmer from Norway, was sick 4

days, died July 1849.

Anfin Thorborn, age 6, born Norway, was sick 12 hours, died

July 1849 of cholera.


6These are probably two of Ingeborg's brothers, Halvar, born 1839,

and Anfinn, born 1841, in Flesjo. Their deaths are recorded in

the 1850 mortality table of Nettle Creek, Grundy County, IL (with

minor age discrepancies) as:

Oliver Thorborn, age 8, born Norway, was sick 12 hours, died

July 1849 of cholera.

7Udna was born 1836 in Flesjo; at this time she was 13 and

Ingeborg was 15

8The others died during August 1849. The deaths are recorded in

the 1850 mortality table as a group including the above already

mentioned.The mother, Helga, born 1805 is listed as:

Helen Thorborn, age 41, born Norway, was sick 2 days, died

August 1849 of cholera.

Ingeborg's youngest brother, Torbjørn, born 1844 is listed as:

Thomas Thorborn, age 4, born Norway, was sick 10 hours, died

August 1849 of cholera.

A baby girl apparently was born to Ingeborg's parents shortly

after their arrival in Illinois (accounting for the seventh

child); probably was named Helga after the mother.This baby

sister is listed as:

Helen Thorborn, age 2, born Illinois, was sick 12 hours,

died August 1849.

9In addition to Ola mentioned in footnote 1 above, this would have

included brother Anfinn of Bauge, Norway, born 1807, and his

wife, Brynla Knutsdatter.Their deaths are recorded in the 1850

mortality table of Nettle Creek, Grundy County, IL as:

Anfin Anfinson, age 45, farmer, born Norway, died July 1849

after being sick 7 days with cholera.

Belinda Anfinson, age 44, born Norway, died July 1849 of

Cholera after 7 days illness.

10This would be Knut Anfinnsson of Indre Bauge, Norway, born


11It is presumed the writer is referring to Ragna (see footnote

4), who was his father's second wife; she died in 1895.


Click here to go back to the Home Page.


Click here to go back to the Mathre and Crim Picture Page.