Library Resources You May Find Helpful
Books [Many of you will
want to use these same books, but I want them to circulate rather than be
on reserve, so don't keep the book any longer than you have to, and plan
early about when you'll need the book so you can ask your classmates where
it is if it is checked out. I have a copy of some of these volumes
as well and am willing to do overnight loans. Professor Dearin is another
possible source of materials.]
- Campbell, Karlyn Kohrs. Women Public Speakers in the United
States, 1800-1925 : a Bio-critical Sourcebook. New York : Greenwood
Press, 1993; and Women Public Speakers in the United States, 1925-1993.
- Campbell, Karlyn Kohrs. Man Cannot Speak for Her, Volumes I and
II. Prager, 1989.
- Ryan, Halford Ross and Bernard Duffy. American Orators Before 1900:
Critical Studies and Sources. New York: Greenwood Press, 1987.
- Ryan, Halford Ross and Bernard Duffy. American Orators of the Twentieth
Century: Critical Studies and Sources. New York: Greenwood Press,
- Brigance, William (and others). History and Criticism of
American Public Address. 4 Volumes. New York: Russell &
The Old Paper index to the above journals: Matlon,
Ronald J., Index to journals in communication studies through 1979.
Falls Church, Va. : Speech Communication Association, c1980.
PARKS LIBRARY Reference Collection Call Number: P87 A11, M37, 1980.
- Vital Speeches of the Day, periodical collection of contemporary
speeches; available in Parks Library PS660 .A1 V8
- The Quarterly Journal of Speech. Location: PARKS LIBRARY
General Collection Call Number: PN4071 .Qu28
- Issues prior to 1980 are in storage and will need to be requested
through the circulation desk.
- The Southern Communication Journal. Vol. 54, no. 1 (fall 1988)-
present. PARKS LIBRARY General Collection, call Number: PN4071 .S651
- The Southern Speech Communication Journal. (Older Issues
of the Above) Publisher: Boone, N.C., Southern Speech Communication
Association, etc. Location: PARKS Storage: Ask at Circ Desk Call Number:
- Communication Studies. Publisher: West Lafayette, Ind. : Central
States Communication Association, c1989- present. Location:
PARKS LIBRARY General Collection Call Number: PN4071 .C3331
- Communication Monographs. Author: SPEECH COMMUNICATION
ASSOCIATION. Location: PARKS LIBRARY General Collection Call Number:
- Western Journal of Communication. Location: Parks Library
General Collection Call Number: PN4071 .W4111
- Communication Quarterly. Publisher: Wakefield, R.I., Eastern
Communication Association. Location: PARKS LIBRARY Periodical Room Call Number:
The electronic index to recent articles (since 1980) in the
above journals (and many other journals) access American History and Life Index
Academic Index, electronically.