SpCm 416 Possible Alternative Final Paper Assignment. Talk to
me if something like this would interest you.
Create a Newsletter or a Web site as though you were part of one
of the social movements we have studied (American Revolution, Abolition,
Civil Rights, Woman Suffrage), but with a speech twist.
1. The project must have a minimum of 6 stories from 400-500 words each.
2. The project must have at least four visuals that help the text: an
image, a chart, some information related to the speech or speaker that is
- At least four must be about a text from a speaker (they can be about
different texts or different speakers or all about the same text and same
- Here are some sample headlines that suggest the approach you should
take in writing the article:
- "Angelina Grimke uses her Southern Roots and the Scripture to Build
- "Thomas Jefferson Attacks the King in his Closely Reasoned Declaration"
- "Mario Cuomo's Stylistic Devices Play Important Role in his Address
to the Convention."
- In other words, as you can see each article should make a claim
about the speech and offer evidence for it.
- The other two stories may be about historical events relating to
the speeches discussed in the other articles: "Pennsylvania Hall Burned to
the Ground," "Massive March on Washington," etc. Or all stories may be about
3. The project must use some kind of software designed for such tasks:
PageMaker, Netscape Composer etc. In other words, no cutting and pasting
together a newsletter. The final product must have a professional look.
4. The project must have a bibliography attached. If it is a web site project
simply run off the "home page" and staple it to a bibliography with the URL
of the site clearly identified. The site must be accessible by class time
on December 4.
5. Drafts for the stories must be ready for our class discussion as announced
Back to Assignments