- CALL FOR PAPERS -
Technology for Second Language Learning (TSLL)
4th Annual Conference
Learner Stategies in CALL
Friday, September 22 and Saturday, September 23, 2006
Memorial Union, Iowa State University
Professor Andrew Cohen, University of Minnesota
Phil Hubbard, Stanford University
The strategies that learners use to direct their second language learning are critical when students use multimedia CALL, the Internet and other electronic resources. These tools give students access to a large range of learning resources and opportunities, but for the most part leave learners on their own to decide how to best use them. How can teachers help to teach learners strategies for effective use of electronic materials for second language learning? What does theory, research and practice tell us about effective use of resources? Papers presented at this conference will address these questions by exploring the intersection between learner strategy training and CALL including implications for language classrooms, teacher education, materials development.
Researchers and practitioners in CALL and CALL-related disciplines are invited to submit abstracts for empirical and theoretical papers on learner strategies in CALL. Specific areas of interest include but are not limited to the following:
- Investigations of strategies language learners use in technology-mediated environments
- Impact of new technologies on learning strategies and the design of materials to prompt good learning strategies
- Evaluation/assessment of the effects of learner strategy training in CALL
- Current and future trends in educating language teachers to teach strategies for using technological language resources
- Impact of distance and web-based learning environments for language learning strategies
Please submit abstracts (150 – 250 words) electronically by June 30, 2006 to Volker Hegelheimer, firstname.lastname@example.org. Notifications of acceptance will be sent out by July 15, 2006.
Hosted by the Program in Applied Linguistics & Technology, the Program in Teaching English as a Second Language/Applied Linguistics, the CALL Club, the Linguistics Program, and the Department of English, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa.