Genetics 110 - Genetics Orientation
October 4, 2007
Finding Genetics Resources in Parks Library
Andrea Dinkelman, Assistant
Professor and Science & Technology Librarian
Library website: http://www.lib.iastate.edu/
Research: Getting Started!
1. Identify the main concepts
in the topic and make a list of search terms.
I. Locating Background/General Information
1. Parks Library Reference Collection (Tier 2) and Online Resources
Encyclopedia of Genetics (REFERENCE Collection QH427 E54x 2002, 4 volumes)
A Dictionary of Genetics (REFERENCE Collection QH427 .K55 2006)
A Dictionary of Gene Technology Terms (REFERENCE Collection QH442 Z48x 2001)
The Dictionary of Gene Technology : Genomics, Transcriptomics, Proteomics (REFERENCE Collection QH506 K333 2004, 2 volumes)
Note: All of the online sources are available through the Library catalog; do a "Title" search.
2. Use the web to locate a reputable web site.
II. Library Catalog
III. Article Indexes
1. General - Listed under "Collections - Indexes & Abstracts." Both of these databases cover many different academic subjects.
2. Subject-Based - Listed under "Collections - Indexes & Abstracts." The Library subscribes to a number of indexes specific to the life sciences, medicine, and agriculture.
Note: All of the above databases have the "Get it@ISU" feature enabled.
3. News Databases - Listed under "Collections - Indexes & Abstracts." These cover news sources (e.g. newspapers, news magazines, blogs) rather than scholarly journals.
Frequently Asked Questions about Articles
1. How do I tell the difference between scholarly and popular Articles?
2. My professor told me me to find a primary research article. What are the differences between primary and secondary sources?
3. I need to find a peer-reviewed article. What does peer review mean and how does this process work?
Don't Know What to Believe. . ." Making Sense of Science Stories
IV. Evaluation of Information
V. Off-Campus Access to Electronic Resources
Set your Library PIN number: http://www.lib.iastate.edu/collections/borrpinnumb.html
VI. Interlibrary Loan
This service lets you obtain journal
articles and/or books that the Library doesn't own.
Online Form: http://www.lib.iastate.edu/isu-bin/ILL
VII. Selected Web Resources
Resources with easy-to-understand information about genetics and human disease
If you encounter unfamiliar genetics terms, try one of these:
Genetics and History
Questions? Contact Andrea Dinkelman, Science & Technology Librarian, email@example.com